Williamswarn Personal Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am fairly sure anyone who bought one of these units wouldn't come on here after 6 months telling everyone what shit beer it turns out, even if it did.

You typically run a relief valve set to your desired pressure. So the amount of CO2 generated by the yeast isn't important so long as it is enough to saturate the wort at the desired pressure - it always is so long as it was capped promptly.

Presumably this thing misses out the other main benefit of fermenting under pressure - easy oxygenation of the wort. This is done by pumping air in at high (45psi ish) pressure, thus increasing the dissolved O2 in the wort well over what can be obtained at atmospheric pressure. No air stones or O2 tanks required.

Yob

You should also have added the comments on experience of this reluctant sale and interestingly even after spending nearly $7000 he is hopeful of burying another in a few years time

I have a WilliamsWarn Personal Brewery for sale - THIS BREWERY MAKES 23 LITRES OF COMMERCIAL GRADE BEER - READY TO DRINK IN 7 DAYS - ITS AMAZING. It is a very reluctant sale and I hope to buy another WW in a few years. This WW comes with an upgraded CO2 bottle and a full kegging system (9 x 5ltre barrels) - I have made some awesome beers in this brewery and im sure the succesful buyer will too. Its the ultimate boys toy!! Oh the team at WW are a great bunch of people and provide great advice and support...Thanks
williamswarn.com

This is the pinnacle of brewing at home - its Amazing..!

Cheers

Wobbly

[SIZE=12pt]On the subject of aeration I posed a couple of questions to Ian Williams on this subject and liquid yeast. Now I'm not saying he is right or wrong but he has used this technology a lot more than anyone else as well as being a qualified professional brewer and therefore I guess has the right to comment as he does[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]My question to Ian Williams on the subject of aeration and his answer[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]My current method of brewing/fermenting is to use an air stone and aquarium pump to aerate the wort for about 30 mins prior to pitching the yeast as I understand I have “boiled”all the available oxygen out of the wort as is the common thread/view on most of the Homebrew web sites [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]The dry yeast is full of nutrient and grown aerobically before drying so doesn’t need wort aeration. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]You need to aerate if you re-use yeast. [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]If you made a starter for 24 hours with stir plate you also don’t need to aerate the bulk wort.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]So unless you’re taking sedimented yeast from a brew you don’t need to aerate. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]My question to Ian Williams on the subject of using liquid[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Have you used any of the liquid yeast such as Wyeast or White Labs and if so able to comment on the suitability or otherwise of these yeasts [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]you can use these. Just make a1L starter and stir for 24 hours on a stir plate to give them life They’re pretty much dead when you get them but they have a great variety[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Cheers[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Wobbly[/SIZE]

• [SIZE=medium]You need to aerate if you re-use yeast.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=medium]If you made a starter for 24 hours with stir plate you also don’t need to aerate the bulk wort.[/SIZE]
These seem self-contradictory to me.

I'd say the second point is incorrect anyhow. Depending on your definition of 'need' I guess.

wobbly said:
My question to Ian Williams on the subject of using liquid
  • [SIZE=12pt]Have you used any of the liquid yeast such as Wyeast or White Labs and if so able to comment on the suitability or otherwise of these yeasts [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]you can use these. Just make a1L starter and stir for 24 hours on a stir plate to give them life They’re pretty much dead when you get them but they have a great variety[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Cheers[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Wobbly[/SIZE]
I can't believe an answer like that from an educated brewer!!! Generalising that Wyeast & Whitelabs are pretty much dead when you get them is a shocking statement. And if by chance you did receive a virtually dead packet through misuse or old age, making a 1L starter for 24hrs would be nowhere near adequate. It's statements like this & the awful advertisement produced that really don't help in feeling good about this machine.

With respect to the earlier comment "there are seriously better & more practical ways of doing it than in this unit"
I agree that there are other ways and many may be "cheaper" but everything I have seen on this site and HBT none do the full range of functions/steps/benefits that this machine offer

You could make similar comments about modern electric/gas ovens used to cook the Sunday roast. A "Metters" wood fired oven did the same thing cheaper but arguably not better and definitely not easier

Also I wonder how many of the "Homebrew Retailers" on this site and in the general market place there would be "talking up" these machines if there was an acceptable "profit margin" in it for them. The reason TWOC doesn't sell them is just that fact he can't sell them at an acceptable mark up (to him)

Cheers

Wobbly

wobbly said:
You could make similar comments about modern electric/gas ovens used to cook the Sunday roast. A "Metters" wood fired oven did the same thing cheaper but arguably not better and definitely not easier
Food from wood fired ovens is SO much better
But yes, no where near as easy as just slapping the roast in a gas/electric oven

As the owner of CraftBrewer I can pretty well guarantee I won't be stocking them & it's nothing to do with the profit margin (I have no idea what it is). From the info available, the machine & the technical support, do nothing to excite me.
Not sure why you are trying to defend your purchase, like Punkin, I really don't give a rats what you spend your money on, just don't expect to ask questions on a forum & not get an honest reply.

Your oven comparison is a strange one, it has little to do with the issues raised. If you were paying for an oven that was fixed to your dining table & presenting your finished food straight on to the plate it would have a little relevance.

Anyway, as said before, enjoy your purchase & i sincerely hope it meets your expectations.

Cheers Ross

wobbly said:
With respect to the earlier comment "there are seriously better & more practical ways of doing it than in this unit"
I agree that there are other ways and many may be "cheaper" but everything I have seen on this site and HBT none do the full range of functions/steps/benefits that this machine offer

Also I wonder how many of the "Homebrew Retailers" on this site and in the general market place there would be "talking up" these machines if there was an acceptable "profit margin" in it for them. The reason TWOC doesn't sell them is just that fact he can't sell them at an acceptable mark up (to him)

Cheers

Wobbly
I would argue that a braumeister did more than this thing does. For less money.

And the comment:

wobbly said:
[SIZE=12pt]..... as well as being a qualified professional brewer and therefore I guess has the right to comment as he does[/SIZE]
Ross, being a professional, award winning, commercial brewer has just as much right to comment on this too.

And I would, having been both supplied with his goods (including his wet yeast) and having drunk enough of his beers to form a decent opinion, would take what he said over someone with a vested interest in selling me "their" product, any day of the week and twice on Sundays, regardless of the other person's qualifications.

What's the old saying? The proof of the pudding is in the eating. The proof of Ross' advice is in the beers he makes.

Wobbly, that machine is ONE HELL of a fermenter. Truly it is. Temperature control, pressure control, convenient yeast harvesting, sampling, and even serving if you really want to.

I'd say that the manufacturer calling it a brewery, and then peddling extract kits to run through it, opens it up to so much criticism and is what is feeding much of the negativity here. It is NOT a 'brewery', personal or otherwise. It doesn't 'brew' anything. It's just a really good fermenter. Far too good for K&K.

I've changed my mind on it, and if I could get one for a lot less money I'd definitely get one. Floor level, gravity fill from my ACTUAL brewery, transfer under pressure into cornies, it would be a very good thing indeed. But like you, I'd pay my money and take my choice regarding what it's actually worth to me. And how much you want to buy into the manufacturer's ideas on the brewing process is your business.

Twice the volume would be better, and I wouldn't tie it up just to have a single beer on tap, but I am actually jealous. That is an awesome fermenter. Enjoy it.

And sorry about taking the piss earlier.

WortGames said:
I'd say that the manufacturer calling it a brewery, and then peddling extract kits to run through it, opens it up to so much criticism and is what is feeding much of the negativity here. It is NOT a 'brewery', personal or otherwise. It doesn't 'brew' anything. It's just a really good fermenter. Far too good for K&K.
This.

It's still better than anything I own (or have ever owned) brewing wise. And yet it's not marketed to produce all grain beer.

I'd spend the $3500 on a braumeister and the change on a great kegerator, and enough kegs to keep a uni bar going for a week.

But as WG said above - I reckon it could be adjusted to brew all grain beer, so for the sake of future proofing - it's actually okay in that regard.

I'd slap out some money for a bit of kit like this if I was on $250k after tax.

Alas, my $30 drums will fulfill that void for the time being...

It really is all down to personal preference for (brewing) gadgets though. Spend away and report back on your results!

Bloody good read. Very interesting hearing everyone's passionate views which goes to reinforce that we all brew for different reasons.

For me, I like the ability to produce a quality end product by using basic equipment and sound brewing practices. So I personally won't be buying one of these beauties.

On another note, the promo video has raised a question for me. If I can control the output pressure and use some type if feed tube is it possible to fill bottles using my keg setup instead of bottle priming? Sorry for taking this of course.

Trev

It seems to me it's a bit like the old apple vs PC argument.

The apple looks cooler and is more user friendly, but costs a lot more and user-friendliness comes at the cost of true flexibility (dry hopping a pain in the ass, only one beer at a time etc).

The PC is uglier and harder to use, but allows a greater freedom of functionality and is cheaper.

Some people like Macs, some people like PCs, no wonder people on this thread have a bit to say!

Let me clarify a few points:-
  • I have been sucked into a "pissing competition" which was never my intention
  • I have no need nor intention to defend or justify my decision to purchase
  • My comments WRT "professionals" was directed towards Ian Williams (and the likes) who publish their experiences and qualifications and I sit up and listen to them when they talk just as I do to those on the various web home brew sites
  • When I first started this topic it was to try and seek comments on some different aspects/methodology on brewing than those commonly expressed on this site
  • As stated it was my intention to encourage meaningful (hopefully) debate and/or comment on the process and views/comment made by Ian Williams as a number of posters have done
  • The concept of fermenting under pressure is generally in its infancy in the HB market from what I have read with only a couple on this site doing it.
  • This concept affords the opportunity for others to consider this method and adopt some/all of the principles if they so wish.
  • The discussion/topic on HBT shows you how you can do something similar but without the benefit of the clarification and serving stage
  • I will not comment on the many ill-informed and frivolous comments posted suffice to say "dicko" was right when he stated "lest keep this post on track"
  • If making these comments means that this topic dies so be it
Cheers

Wobbly

Here's previous discssion on FUP where it seems you may have been leaning toward this system well over a year ago (well you hint toward an NZ System)

There are other under pressure topics as well..

Mate, you have generated healthy debate, it's not a pissing contest as you put it, you have asked for peoples opinions and you have got them as well as some examination of some fairly uneducated comments from the purveyors of said equipment..

Personally Id rather hook up twin conicals to a Kegerator and employ matho to put some buttons on it :lol:

Seriously, dont get all up tight because people poke holes at a (perceived) over priced fermenter/dispensing unit, as long as you are happy to pay it, who gives a shit... at the end of the day the vast majority here (myself included) wouldnt throw that much coin at that sort of unit.

Just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back