Will this work?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbieb

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to brew an all grain SMaSH this week with Maris Otter and Cascade, BIAB in my 40L urn. My problem is I want to add most of my hops in the last 5 minutes and don't have a wort chiller to cool my wort quick enough.

My plan is to mash in around 22L and aim for 14L of high gravity wort after my boil. Then I can transfer to my fermenter and top up to 21L with refrigerated water which should bring my temp down to ~65 degrees. Then I can just let it cool to pitching temp overnight.

Is this a good idea? Is 22L enough to mash 4.5KG of grain in? and is 65 degrees cool enough to stop the hops from adding bitterness?

Cheers,
Rob

65 c wont give you any extra bitterness AFAIK. Though you could just put a couple of litres of wort aside, chill in the sink( in a clean ,sanitized, airtight container ) and put it in the fridge . When your main wort is at pitching temp, dilute refridgerated wort to a gravity of around 1040 ,bring wort to the boil, add hops for 5, chill in a sink of ice water and add to the fermentor leaving the majority of the hop debris behind.

Latest posts

Back