Will This Work?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownie

Reaction score
Grabbed myself some cheapish Brewiser Kits to us as testing out new recipes, thus want some advise if the below ingredients and method will work.

1.7KG Brewiser Lager Kits;
500g Dark Dry Malt Extract;
1Kg Saunders Malt Extract;
SAF Lager S-23 Yeast;
Hersbrucker Hops (teabag);
Saaz Hops (teabag);
250g Dextrose.

3 Litres of hot water in stockpot, add DDME, Dextrose and Malt Extract, bring to boil, add Saaz Hops and boil/high simmer for 20 mins, add Hersbrucker hops and boil/high simmer for another 10 to 15 mins

Turn off heat, and let sit for 10 mins, then add Lager kit and mix well, add to fermenter and top with water to 22-23 litres.

Add re-hydrated yeast to fermenter, and ferment between 10 and 15 degrees for 14 days.

Will this work?
Or would you add subtract something?

Brownie.

The basic process looks fine.

What are you aiming to get out of the hops ? Boiling/simmering saaz for 30 minutes won't give you much flavour or aroma. If you're after flavour, then 10-15 minutes boil/simmer should be enough.

No clue about Saunders Malt extract. As it's made for cooking (I assume) then who knows what else may be added in. It may do strange things to the colour of your beer as well (but then, who am I to talk. My case swap pale ale wasn't very pale). I recall questions being asked about it on the forum awhile ago, but I cannot remember what was said.

As for S23, I've never used it, but there have been heaps of threads regarding yeasts.

yes your will work. basics look good. I wouldnt bother rehydrating your yeast

Personaly I would get rid of the saunders malt. go normal LDME. I did a similar brew a little while ago and I am very partial to it:

Brown Bavarian Mongrel Lager
coopers Bavarian Lager,
0.5kg DDME
0.850kg DLME
0.25kg Maltodex
0.35kg Dex
200g Choc Grain steeped.
12g craftbrewer Swiss yeast (aka s-189)
10g saaz @15min,
15g saaz @0
OG 1.062, FG 1.020, 6.1%

you could easily cut down on the LDME in my receipe or just get rid of the dex. I had a bag of BE2 laying around so i used that as well as some other bits and peices, hence the wierd amounts.

as for your S-23, i would look at leaving it for longer than 14 days. They normally take a bit longer to ferment out.

Brownie - use fresh hop pellets instead of the teabags
Cheers
Steve

Replace the Saunders malt with brewing malt extract. It's made for consistency in food production, ie sweetness, not necessarily for consistency in fermentability. Unless you have info that it is a good fermenter, that is. Bintani DME is used in bakeries after all....

I used Saunders malt extract in my last brew. Did a Honey and Roasted Barley Ale with a Coopers Real Ale kit, 1kg Saunders ME, 40g Treacle, 100g Roasted Barley, 20g Choc malt, 350g honey, 15g Saaz aroma all topped up to 23L. No problems at all. It's 100% barley malt extract. Doesn't seem to be any clarity, fermentation or taste issues with it that I can notice. The final product tastes as good as any beer I have made hitherto; and the head retention of the final product is good. I had a discussion in the home brew and beer forum and someone suggested that Saunders malt may leave a protein haze because it was not manufactured for brewing; but someone else, who had used it, said that it works fine, except he suggested that it tamed his Coopers Bitter kit. Seems to be okay to me though and I have no hesitations with recommending it to brew with; if it's all you have on hand. It's better than using all-sucrose adjuncts.

I have no hesitations with recommending it to brew with; if it's all you have on hand. It's better than using all-sucrose adjuncts.

Indeed, more than 10% sucrose would be an issue in most extract beers. Interesting to note your observations. I might just try a can in a part-mash.

Yeah it's good to use if you can't get to the HBS, as it's available in Coles near the honeys. Sometimes this is the case for me as I live pretty far from my HBS and only get there on occasion.

The internet means you are only one day and minimal postage costs from many, many HBS's in Aus. Screw your local supermarket!

I'm a few sheets to the wind, but if you chuck in a genuine lager yeast, a bit more malt and capitalise on the remnants of Canberra's winter would this be a bastardised Bock?

Keen to be shot down. : :wacko:

Fess.

The internet means you are only one day and minimal postage costs from many, many HBS's in Aus. Screw your local supermarket!

I'm not so impressed with the internet mail order system. The other day I assembled an order online for 3 x 1kg bags of spec grains. The subtotal was around $12.50. Postage for this was $16.50 - more than the cost of the grains. It's a hoax and I'm not at all impressed with the charge of performing such a service. So I did not complete the order. The local supermarket and the occasional HBS visit for a few long term supplies is the only option for me. Mail order is too expensive and I've given up on the idea of it completely.

I'm not so impressed with the internet mail order system. The other day I assembled an order online for 3 x 1kg bags of spec grains. The subtotal was around $12.50. Postage for this was $16.50 - more than the cost of the grains. It's a hoax and I'm not at all impressed with the charge of performing such a service. So I did not complete the order. The local supermarket and the occasional HBS visit for a few long term supplies is the only option for me. Mail order is too expensive and I've given up on the idea of it completely.
internet orders are terrible for small orders. but places like the online sponsors who will ship about 5kg for $16 (i think those fighurs are about right) make it worth while. especially when your buying light stuff. even heavy stuff - I was quoted a damn reasonable rate (ie not much more) for frieght of 2 kegs and 2.5kg of other stuff.

lots of smaller ordere by internet isnt all that ecominical, so buy in bulk or more less often and you'll save on postage

as fair as internet orders go, it is very dependent on the freight system the HBS uses.. i have 3 places i use, and its usually the freight cost for the order that is the decider..
very dependent on what im actually ordering (tins / hops / grains / other), i usually make an internet order pretty big, just to save (overall) on freight.

Doesn't MHB split the delivery cost 50/50? That's makes for reasonable postage for recipe-sized orders. And with Ross's price for yeast, ordering a couple in an Express Post pack still works out better than my LHBS. It's a matter of who you buy from and what's on offer. I've never had a problem buying stuff online. Sometimes the freight is a pain, sure, but how much is your time worth? Travel to and fro a distant brew shop, fuel, time, etc... All things to consider.

Doesn't MHB split the delivery cost 50/50? That's makes for reasonable postage for recipe-sized orders. And with Ross's price for yeast, ordering a couple in an Express Post pack still works out better than my LHBS. It's a matter of who you buy from and what's on offer. I've never had a problem buying stuff online. Sometimes the freight is a pain, sure, but how much is your time worth? Travel to and fro a distant brew shop, fuel, time, etc... All things to consider.
PoMo said it a lot better than I did. The only thing I dont get mail ordered is liquid yeast, although with mashmaster stocking whitelabs maybe I change too.

I think we are heading off topic a little though.

All,

Many thanks for your assistance/advice.

Once the current brew (Hoegardden Clone) in the fermenter is finished I shall put this one down, and see how she goes.

Probably be put down the week after Bathurst.....torn between two loves......

Thanks again

Brownie

Malt Extract is just that, malt extract.
A huge amount of malt extract is used by confectionery companies, bakeries and breakfast food manufacturers.
Some of it makes its way into cans for kit beers, but it is a very secondary market.

K

Latest posts

Back