Will My Starter Wort Be Ok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
I brewed an English Special last Sunday which is now in a cube awaiting it's fate.

When I made the recipe up I upped it a bit so I could have about 4-5 litres left at the end to use for future starters. I filled the cube and ran the remaing wort into a 6 litre SS pot. I place the pot into one of the fermenting fridges that was set to 16C planning to divide it into bottles in about 24 hours time.
I then freeze them and use them as needed.

Of course I forgot about it and just remembered about the wort today, about 30 minutes ago.
I went to the fridge half expecting fermentation to have started but it has not. The wort smalles and tastes ok like the day I cubed it. I am now boiling it up again and will leave it to cool before splitting it tomorrow.

Has anyone had a similar experience with starter wort? I am thinking if it smells and tastes fine then it should be, especially if I boil it up again. But it would be a bummer to lose a whole new smack pack.

cheers
johnno

If it tasted ok and you've boiled it up again then it'd be fine, unless you forget it again.

sorry.
Hope the wort works out fine.
Kais answer seem sufficient though

Back