Will My Brew Be Drinkable

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuggalug

Reaction score
hi put my very first brew down three days ago coopers canadian blonde, pride of ringwood hops(1 teabag thing) and a sachet of dry enzyme. i now hear that the dry enzyme makes your beer undrinkable, ive been told i may as well empty it out now and start again. whats the consensous

I've never used dry enzyme myself, but where is the harm in waiting it out and trying it once it's done. You've already purchased and mixed all the ingredients... just seems pointless to tip it out now.

I have used dry enyme once. Used a can of extract, yeast which came with the can and dry enyme. Beer was ok but thick yeast layer in bottom of bottle. You've made it now - keep it. If you don't like the taste then drink a few bottles quickly so you taste buds go numb, then drink the rest.

If its undrinkable it wont be because of the dry enzyme imo. You may well never want to use it again but it wont warrant you beer tipable. It will dry your beer right out prob fg in the low 1000's. You may like that, you may not. I wouldnt lose sleep over it, all things being equal you'll drink it. I have used it in k&k days (not really knowing what it did), i dont use it now and the beer styles i make/like a dry enzyme has no place. Imo dont stress, once you taste it you will know whether you want to use it again. My 2c

b a h

I have only used it once, didn't think it was tha good. One tip though is to make sure you let it finish fermenting. It will make your fg really low. I would leave it a few extra days than what you think is good.

Most first k&k's tend to be remembered as undrinkable once you start making better beer. But you drink them anyway!! Don't waste your money, drink it up!!!!!

One of my mates, uses this recipie Blonde + Enzyme for his wife often. Very dry and flavourless drink. Depending on the style you like, you may enjoy it.

QldKev

thanks everyone all great advice bottoms up it is.. especially liked the response "drink a few bottles quickly and numb the taste buds"
cheers

Back