Will Discovery Take The Heat?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think Discovery will make it back safely

• Definate Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definate No

• I have my Doubts (read 'Fence sitter')

• Total voters
Borret said:
I would want all other things in my favour if it were me...

Borret
[post="70778"][/post]​

And a very long landing strip IIRC that thing hits the ground like a runaway freight train. Must have some pretty impressive Dunlops. :eek:

Warren -

homebrewworld.com said:
Ok so re: 'the delay',
The bloody thing can fly to outer-space, but it cant land through a bit of cloud eh' <_<
I know a 2 bob twin prop that can do that!
[post="70736"][/post]​

I know of one that recently tried in the Victorian Ski fields that couldn't..... :(

warrenlw63 said:
Borret said:
I would want all other things in my favour if it were me...

Borret
[post="70778"][/post]​

And a very long landing strip IIRC that thing hits the ground like a runaway freight train. Must have some pretty impressive Dunlops. :eek:

Warren -
[post="70782"][/post]​

6 km IIRC

Landing look extremely bloody scary.

Here's a video for anybody intrested.

Shuttle Landing

Deadsticking one of these beasts must take some pretty awesome skill.

Warren -

Landing looks extremely bloody scary.

Here's a video for anybody intrested.

Shuttle Landing

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:

Warren -
[post="70815"][/post]​

Very by all accounts. Even the shuttle pilots describe it as having the glide characteristics of a brick.

Cheers
Dave

i'd be staying put on the ISS and hitching a ride back home with the russians!...but then again come to think of it which would be safer?

Steve said:
i'd be staying put on the ISS and hitching a ride back home with the russians!...but then again come to think of it which would be safer?
[post="70853"][/post]​

Your choices are -

A fragile and extremely complex (but cool looking) spaceplane that was designed by a comittee and has failed to satisfy even one of its original design goals.

or

A nice simple ballistic capsule with a heritage going back to the first manned space flight.

I know which I'd prefer

Cheers
Dave

So what time AEST is it due to land this time (assuming no delay to 2 other spacestrips)

Borret said:
So what time AEST is it due to land this time (assuming no delay to 2 other spacestrips)
[post="70871"][/post]​

First landing oportunity is 0907UTC which is 19:07AEST. That puts the deorbit burn at around 18:00.

Two oportinities at KSC then divert to edwards for a third. If they miss all of those they could stay up another day if they really had to.

Cheers
Dave

Airgead said:
Borret said:
[post="70871"][/post]​

First landing oportunity is 0907UTC which is 19:07AEST. That puts the deorbit burn at around 18:00.

Two oportinities at KSC then divert to edwards for a third. If they miss all of those they could stay up another day if they really had to.

Cheers
Dave
[post="70876"][/post]​

Three different sites according to nasa
KSC will remain the preferred landing site. Edwards Air Force Base, California, will be second in preference for landing and White Sands Space Harbor, New Mexico, will be third in preference. Two Shuttle landing opportunities will be available at each site.

Borret

It's on the ground safe at Edwards.

Travis

Just saw it on SBS.

Thank goodness they made it OK. A beautiful thing. :)

Warren -

Latest posts

Back