Wild Upgrade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildburkey

Reaction score
Many on here have probably already seen my current 3V AG setup through my old blog that magically disappeared or pictures that I’ve posted in the gallery over past years, however I thought I would begin a thread dedicated to my brewery from past to present for anyone who might be interested.

I began with kits over 15 years ago and progressed to mini mashes for about 10 of those, a few years back I made my first 3v gravity fed batch sparge system with a keg for a Hot Liquor Tank (HLT) run with a STC temp control, an esky Mash Tun (MT) and a 76L Boil Kettle (BK) from Cheeky Peak on a gas burner; I still have my original BK incorporated into my current system.

I will upload some pictures of the old build and continue this thread soon.

002.jpg

001.jpg

007.jpg

005.jpg

This system produced quite a nice drop and was all my budget would allow for at the time, it produced a good 400L of APA, IPA and English Bitters before my bank account was fat enough to upgrade my HLT and MT with a Cheeky Peak HERMS setup. I had run into a bit of good fortune so also purchased a SS Conical Fermenter and a 3 roller mill at the same time.

A pic of the new bling.....

20160715_155510.jpg

The plan was to set it up underneath of my house but it soon became apparent it was going to be too dusty and dirty of an environment for the process so it ended up living and operating in my dining room until recent developments.
Some of the problems I encountered with the Cheeky Peak HERMS HLT/ MT kit were: a.) I was supplied a 10A Keg King temp controller to control 2 x 2200W elements/ 20A; b.) Having the HERMS coil incorporated into HLT takes up space that reduces volume capacity of the pot; c.) The initial setup controlled mash temps from the HLT rather than the hottest point of the system/ HERMS exit.

In answer to these issues: a.) I used 2 power outlets and had to manually control one of the elements which was a real PITA, I ended up making a relay switch to control the second element when the first came on; b.) never ended up being so much of an issue I guess, I just fill the HLT, raise to acid rest temp, transfer strike water to the MT, top up the HLT with the correct amount of sparge water, flick the HERMS pump on and wait till everything is up to temp; c.) Wasn't too hard to fix because there was an analog thermometer at the HERMS exit that I replaced with a threaded SS NTC-1000 probe which I now run off a Sestos PID.

20160808_165909.jpg

The system as it was did produce some nice beer but It soon came to my attention that my ramp times were slow. I did some experimenting with the little brown pump and noticed a remarkable difference when recirculating my HLT/ HERMS vessel and the same with the BK. I wouldn’t recommend using it rigged the way as pictured in the previous post, it was super dangerous and stoopid really.

Here’s a few more pictures of the internal design of the HERMS system and my BK, I bought a 2nd KK pump to add recirculation ports to the HLT/HERMS and BK. (I plan on upgrading the whirlpool and recirc ports with SS pipe and fittings ASAP and wish for a march pump one day)

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

001.jpg

Here's some pics making a Choc Porter (full to the brim) using the sestos control measuring from HX exit. You can also see the relay I've been using sitting on top of my couch. It came out OK but was nothing to write home about.

20161002_132353.jpg

20161002_135706.jpg

So cutting to the chase here's where I'm at now: I've got a shed up with dodgy floor drainage but it's a something I guess, it's easy to drain using a squeegee; I've nearly finished my control box, which I'll explain a bit more about soon; I have everything necessary to install a separate 32A circuit and lighting in the shed, I'm just waiting on a mate to come sort it; I got a shite load of cleaning, thinking and arranging to do.
I haven't finished the control box, I'm going to put a plate over the big hole and try tidy the wires away from the SSR's; the switch in the middle is a DPDT which will change from the PID/ HERMS control on the left to the phase angle control on the right which I soon intend on setting up with 2 x 2200W elements in the kettle. I know 32A is overboard but will have a 25A fuse in the control box and shouldn't draw over 20 with my current plans.
I'm fearing the wrath already before posting this pic resemblant of a rainbow box of spaghetti but here goes :icon_cheers:

I still have a bit to do and a lot to learn but I'd like to thank the AHB community for being a source of knowledge, assistance, ideas and inspiration cause I couldn't imagine I'd be where I'm at with this right now without you. I'll keep this thread updated as the final plans come together, cheers all!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Hi all, me and my sparky mate have had alot going on which has delayed things far more than expected but everything seems to be going full steam ahead now.
I've bought a KK plate chiller to switch out my old copper immersion chiller and installed the 2 x 2200W elements in my BK; they just need plumbing, tightening, and checking for leaks now (excuse the mess in my BK, bad practice I know).
I have the 32A breaker installed in my meter box on it's own circuit (capped off for the moment), we have pulled the 6mm wire through to where it will go into the back of the shed and I just need to get some conduit to finish wiring it all up now.
I'm looking into covering the shelves that the pots are sitting on in stainless and building a range hood around the top shelving to vent steam out of the shed.
Hopefully not much longer now and I'll have this rig up and running!

001.jpg

002.jpg

Hi all, the wiring and lighting are sorted now and I've built a dodgy range hood from polycarb with ducting to ventilate the steam from the shed. I just have to plumb up the plate chiller, clean and sterilise etc. and I should be good to go. I have gave it a test run whilst cleaning and found no issues so far :)
What's people's opinions on how to use the plate chiller? I'm not sure weather to recirculate in the boil kettle or run direct to the fermenter.
Here's a cpl of pics, Cheers!

20170419_155225.jpg

20170331_101938.jpg

G'day Mate I have no idea how to run your setup but it looks cool.
I'm a can man but thought it would be nice manners to reply. All the best.

Really nice setup wildburkey.
It seems we're heading down a similar path. I too am installing a 32A circuit to run my new 3V setup. Im using 5500W ULD ripple elements in my HLT & boil kettle. My control panel was purchased from The Electric Brewey in the USA. Ive got to order some gear from Auberins to finish off the panel then it'll be getting wired up. My mash temp will be maintained through the coil in the HLT & I'm hoping my ramp times will be sufficient with the 5500W element. Not too sure on vessel sizes just yet but I was looking at 3 x 120L jobbies. Keep us updated with where your at.

Thanks Abyss.

Crusty said:
Really nice setup wildburkey.
It seems we're heading down a similar path. I too am installing a 32A circuit to run my new 3V setup. Im using 5500W ULD ripple elements in my HLT & boil kettle. My control panel was purchased from The Electric Brewey in the USA. Ive got to order some gear from Auberins to finish off the panel then it'll be getting wired up. My mash temp will be maintained through the coil in the HLT & I'm hoping my ramp times will be sufficient with the 5500W element. Not too sure on vessel sizes just yet but I was looking at 3 x 120L jobbies. Keep us updated with where your at.
Hi Crusty, it sounds like you are being less of a tight arse than myself, altho I do have a lot invested. I'm pretty sure there are online calculators if you want to get an idea of what your ramp times will be like. I've been thinking about upgrading one of my pumps to a march or chugger to try improve my ramp time but I'm not sure I'd want to recirculate the mash much quicker than I am anyway.
Keep in mind it's best to have extra space in your boil kettle to avoid boil over; I'm using 2 x 50L pots for the HLT and MT and I think it's a 76L BK. Also keep in mind if you are using an immersion chiller this will reduce capacity in the BK too so volumes need to be marked accordingly. As previously noted a HERMS in the HLT will reduce a bit of volume capacity but I haven't found this to be a huge issue.
Good luck with the new setup!

Good stuff. Those blokes at cheeky peak are great, bought several things from there and will keep going back.

wildburkey said:
Hi all, the wiring and lighting are sorted now and I've built a dodgy range hood from polycarb with ducting to ventilate the steam from the shed. I just have to plumb up the plate chiller, clean and sterilise etc. and I should be good to go. I have gave it a test run whilst cleaning and found no issues so far :)
What's people's opinions on how to use the plate chiller? I'm not sure weather to recirculate in the boil kettle or run direct to the fermenter.
Here's a cpl of pics, Cheers!
Great looking set up mate- very jealous.

WRT the plate chiller- they are designed to run straight to the FV. There is no point circulating as it will come out at tap water temp (or close to it) and you wont get it any lower than that unless you start buggering around with ice etc

Cheers Damoninja, I had a few small hiccups dealing with them but they were helpful and got everything sorted in the end so will continue to do business.

Thanks Droopy, I'll plumb it up this arvo and test it with some water when I'm giving it's next test/ cleaning run.

Plate chiller sorted, I'll attach a T piece on the wort outlet and install a thermometer soon. One final clean and test run and I should be good to go. I'll take some more snaps when I get around to a brew day :)

20170421_163155.jpg

Latest posts

Back