Why Rehydrate And Pitch Dry Yeast Warm?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure why I am wasting a post this late on this old issue.
Dried yeast can be pitched dry with great results.

But... here is a better way
Here's a link Fermentis.
to how to do it by the manufacturers.

In hindsight, my advice would be to a new brewer...

1. Don't brew kits.
2. Brew Fresh Wort Kits
3. Well, I haven't thought of that yet!

Quite a rave PistolPatch. But l reckon you've also confused two seperate issues.

1. If you want to learn how to brew (particularly if you haven't the gear to AG and even if you did, almost probably won't have the knowledge to use it effectively .. yet) then you are probably best to start with kits, experiment with them. Learn about malts, specialty grains and hops. Quickly get away from kits into extracts then take the plunge in AG, reading heretics (and I do mean that in the nicest possible way) like your BIAB method or the "normal AG" methods. It's all about the learning method and crawling before walking principles.

2. If all you want is consistantly good beer at prices half that of commercial swill, brew fresh wort kits.

Due to cost constraints (I can't buy a complete AG system outright but am acquiring it piece by piece) and the fact that I have never seen anyone make an AG beer, my knowledge on the subject comes from reading sources such as this and of course other reading material. My knowledge on the usage of malts, specialty grains and hops comes from the same sources as well as experimentation. Do not underestimate encouraging neewbies to brew to learn, rather than just brewing to drink.

Lastly I finish this rave by saying if AG brewing was all some of you make it out to be, there wouldn't be so many failures and problems that fill the AHB forums. All systems have their fallibilities. I know a well made AG beer will taste better than a well made extract beer that will taste better than a well made kit based beer. Between the three though, there are many flucuations and I've tasted many well put together kit based beers that puts some AG to shame.

:icon_chickcheers:

My goodness FG! Did I write all that? LOL! One of my more arrogant posts I must say :blink: And several people had addressed ohitsbrad's experience level.

Oh well some truth there. Probably a little off-topic though. Whoops!

Thanks for checking Palmer's quote Stuster. I'm surprised at that.

Mmmm,
Pat

In addition to all of the previously stated arguments for (or against) rehydrating yeast, I have a slightly different motivation for rehydating.

When I transfer from my no-chill cube (yes, I botu-biab :D ) to my fermenter, which I do from a height to allow the wort to splash into the fermenter for aeration, I find I get a fair amount of foam on top of the wort in the fermenter. I tend to prefer to pitch "wet" so that the yeast goes straight to the wort rather than sitting on top of the foam waiting for it to dissipate.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the merits of sprinkling the dry yeast into the fermenter first and then draining my no-chill cube on top of it?

Soz.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the merits of sprinkling the dry yeast into the fermenter first and then draining my no-chill cube on top of it?

I see why not.

I used to sprinkle the sachets on my partial fermenter half filled and top up with water with no ill effects.
Then pour the entire lot into a second fermenter for aeration.

I am aware of a poster that fills up with his from the garden hose jet.
He claims he hadn't had an infection to date,

(Right Geoff!?)

Back