Why Is My Airlock Bubbling?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acasta

Bro Member
Reaction score
Now i know what your thinking, "another amature complaining about his airlock", but this question is in reverse of the normal! So i think it makes it thread worthy.
I've had a Pale kit in the fermentor for 11days and its still bubbling, however, the hydrometer indicated that fermentation stopped 2 days ago. Im not sure weather or no to bottle. As some of you may have seen my other thread about the exploding bottle!

Now i know what your thinking, "another amature complaining about his airlock", but this question is in reverse of the normal! So i think it makes it thread worthy.
I've had a Pale kit in the fermentor for 11days and its still bubbling, however, the hydrometer indicated that fermentation stopped 2 days ago. Im not sure weather or no to bottle. As some of you may have seen my other thread about the exploding bottle!

Yep I saw that thread and can understand why you are gun shy. At what Grav has it stopped?

Could be CO2 coming out of solution, change it pressures, temp, etc.

If in doubt rack to a secondary container for a week - then bottle.

Continue to check the gravity too as per Chap Chap's post above.

its at about 1009, down from 1040.
The Fermentables were Coopers Kit, 1kg DME and .3kg dex.

I would rack, but have no secondary atm, its got another brew in it, i do have a priming vessle which ill use and if it seems ok ill bottle with less sugar then normal.

its at about 1009, down from 1040.
The Fermentables were Coopers Kit, 1kg DME and .3kg dex.

I would rack, but have no secondary atm, its got another brew in it, i do have a priming vessle which ill use and if it seems ok ill bottle with less sugar then normal.

1009 sounds normal enough with your recipe. My thinking is a per Raven but considering you don't have a 2nd vessle to rack too maybe have a taste to be sure there aren't any off flavours to rule out an infection. I would then leave it for a few more days, taste again, if still good crash chill and bottle.

Chap Chap

A little off topic, but I think a lot of bottle bombs can be put down to bottle infections.

The sugar you put in your bottles gives 0.5% alcohol. I reckon most bottles could probably handle twice that level of carbonation without exploding, that's the CO2 by product of say, 1% alcohol.

If your beer is 4% then you can see just how much sugaz you'd need to leave in the bottle to make it a bomb - shitloads. You can taste that level of sugaz.

A little off topic, but I think a lot of bottle bombs can be put down to bottle infections.

The sugar you put in your bottles gives 0.5% alcohol. I reckon most bottles could probably handle twice that level of carbonation without exploding, that's the CO2 by product of say, 1% alcohol.

If your beer is 4% then you can see just how much sugaz you'd need to leave in the bottle to make it a bomb - shitloads. You can taste that level of sugaz.

I agree with Nick here that most are due to infections. The only other time I can see it happening is if the brew stalls at say 1.020, the brewer doesn't check gravity and then is generous with the priming sugar.

In the OP case, a lot of the dissolved CO2 will be released when bottling. Also all my brews get a temp bump to ensure they are finished. i.e if Im brewing with US05 at 18, after about 8 to 10 days once I believe the beer is fully brewed out, I bump the temp to 20 for at least 24 hours before crash chilling.

QldKev

I agree with Nick here that most are due to infections. The only other time I can see it happening is if the brew stalls at say 1.020, the brewer doesn't check gravity and then is generous with the priming sugar.
Also, with beverages that have a lower FG. It's been known to happen when people add enzymes to their beer. My only ever bottle bombs were a cider. The SG stayed the same for a couple of weeks (about 1.005 IIRC). I figured it was done and bottled it. A couple of weeks later I chilled one and cracked it open. It was very fizzy, but more noticable was that it had dried out considerably. A few weeks later three exploded on a hot day. I waited for a cool night to even venture into the shed where I had them stored, and opened them all and recapped them.

Latest posts

Back