Why Is It Oxidised!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murrayr

Reaction score
Just took a sample of a blonde ale i knocked out a few weeks ago, while the gravity indicates it's done, a taste test showed signs of oxidation, that is; it hard a cardboard taste to it.
not sure how this could of happened:
its still in the primary fermener
the fermenter hasn't moved since i pitched the yeast
it shouldn't be oxidised! help
thanks, murray

There shouldn't be any noticeable oxidation from your primary fermenter after two weeks - perhaps the raw ingredients (malt/grains) are the culprit?

What was your process up to getting it in the fermenter? At what points did you splash/aerate? Any hot-side aeration could contribute to oxidation, including vigorous stirring in the mash, although there's arguments that a vigorous boil can get rid of this.

Just took a sample of a blonde ale i knocked out a few weeks ago, while the gravity indicates it's done, a taste test showed signs of oxidation, that is; it hard a cardboard taste to it.
not sure how this could of happened:
its still in the primary fermener
the fermenter hasn't moved since i pitched the yeast
it shouldn't be oxidised! help
thanks, murray

It could simply be "green" more info required on your process leave out nothing!

fair enough:
i only aerated once it was cool and in the fermenter with some vigorous stirring.
from the boil it gets cooled instantly through a plate chiller which is connected straight to my kettle so no hot side aeration. it doesn't taste "green" as i've definately had experience with that and can identify it. i do only think this is oxidised as i recall reading that a cardboard flavour can indicate so.
i ended up bottling it today so i guess it's wait and see. thanks for your help and any more would be greatly appreciated.
cheers, murray

Latest posts

Back