Why Don't I Hit The Expected Og

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mossyrocks

Reaction score
I have a dilema with every AG brew I have made (3 so far). I have never come close to the OG expected in any recipes.

Today I am in the process of making DrSmurto's Golden Ale (who isn't). This is the 2nd time I have brewed this recipe. The 1st was from measurements on the recipe database.
This time is from his Beersmith recipe.
Both brews have missed the OG by a long shot. The 1st time I brewed this recipe my OG was 1020 - recipe expected 1033.
This brew I hit 1024.

I brew with the following equipement :-

1 50l Keg for the HLT
1 55l esky for the Mash Tun (with steel braid)
1 50l keg for the kettle

Today I hit every temperature required by the recipe for the various mash in, mash out & sparge. I have also meet all the amount of water required for every step.

I have used the exact ratio of grains required - 1st brew grain milled by Ross at Craftbrewer, 2nd brew grain milled by me.

I have checked the OG levels at room temperature so as not to distort the figures.

For this brew I added a PH stabiliser.

I have also made a weizen brew in between these 2 brews and it also didn't hit the OG expected.

Please let me know what I could be doing wrong not to meet the OG.

Thanks

What's your mash schedule? Batch or fly?

what efficiency did you use in the recipe? On the last few brews what eff did you work out that your system is giving you, if it's in the 70-80% range then this is normal. Do you batch sparge or fly sparge. How long are you mashing for and what temp? there are many areas you could be losing efficiency if you detail your process more we may be able to spot something...

Hey Mossy,
I think the obvious answer is "your efficiency is not as high as you have it set in beersmith". I'd suggest, as a solution, you set your efficiency lower then alter the amount of grain so that beersmith predicts the same OG as the recipe called for.

But that doesn't answer the real question "why is your effiency lower than the people who made the recipe." That answer comes in two parts:

1) Who cares. Everyone has got a different efficiency. Relax. Don't Worry. Have a Home Brew. As the saying goes.

2) Since your AG brewing you obviously care about beer, and its interesting to understand things like mash efficiency, but there is just so much to understand. The first thing to look for would be temperature (but you've already getting that right). Then crush of the grain (but you got a crush from Ross so that one at least should be OK). Then I might start looking at doing an iodine test to test complete conversion (If your not already), and also looking at your sparge technique (single or double batch or fly sparge, is the sparge hitting the right temp at you letting it sit long enough or stiring enough). Only after you've exhausted all those would I start playing with water pH, but that could also be a factor.

--
Mesa (whos efficiency is only 65-70% anyway, so you probably shouldn't listen to me :p )

Thanks guys, I am batch sparging.

I have followed DrSmurto's recipe to the letter.

But, as for efficiency, I really don't know what mine is.

So as to hit the right OG I have on each occasion added light dried malt extract.

The 1st Golden Ale I am currently drinking and it tastes magnificient. I therefore expect this one to be even better as I have used the real recipe - except adding the extract.

But like mesa has said, have a home brew. Exactly what i am doing now.

I suppose I had better find out how to gauge my efficiency.

Thanks

Thanks guys, I am batch sparging.

I have followed DrSmurto's recipe to the letter.

But, as for efficiency, I really don't know what mine is.

So as to hit the right OG I have on each occasion added light dried malt extract.

The 1st Golden Ale I am currently drinking and it tastes magnificient. I therefore expect this one to be even better as I have used the real recipe - except adding the extract.

But like mesa has said, have a home brew. Exactly what i am doing now.

I suppose I had better find out how to gauge my efficiency.

Thanks

Mossyrocks,

Come by the shop & we'll plug all your figures into Beersmith & see if you have a problem.
Either way, we'll get you the answers.

cheers Ross

Ross,

I'd planned to get over this morning before I started the brew - have to check out the shop - (also have to talk to mothballs - he's graciously offered to take to me to the case swap).

Are you open on Sundays?

Ross,

I'd planned to get over this morning before I started the brew - have to check out the shop - (also have to talk to mothballs - he's graciously offered to take to me to the case swap).

Are you open on Sundays?

No, but I'll be here tomorrow morning before heading off to the beer luncheon - just give me a call.

Cheers Ross

So many possibilities. Best plan is to get someone who is producing good AG brews to give you a few pointers to get started. I have years of records of my processes (I did not have anyone to guide me) and still find it amusing to read some of the stupid things I did with my early AG brews. Just a learning curve but if you make too many errors you may get frustrated with the whole process.

Thanks all for your help.

I spent sometime with Ross this morning who highlighted some deficiencies in my processes which explained why I didn't hit the expect OG.

Live and learn,

Cheers

Some areas I wasn't doing correctly were :-

1. I wasn't sparging with near boiling or boiling water.
2. I was topping up the kettle with straight water instead of sparging through my grain.
3. I needed to setup beersmith with calculations for my equipment.

These were my major areas causing me to not hit the expected OG.

Cheers

+1 on the mashout water being boiling or very close. Forget what beersmith says, use boiling water for mashout.

Mick

I aim for 80 degree sparge/mashout,which when you factor in grain temp etc.,requires that it be added at near boiling :icon_cheers:

Back