Why Are Coopers Brewing Sugars So Expensive?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jivesucka

Reaction score
go to woolies, the pricetag might say $5.30 or something on a pack of brew enhancer, but when you get to the checkout it's like $7. i have started to use bulk malted barley grain because it is that much cheaper.

go to woolies, the pricetag might say $5.30 or something on a pack of brew enhancer, but when you get to the checkout it's like $7. i have started to use bulk malted barley grain because it is that much cheaper.
You're claiming there's some sort of invisible tax or mark up specifically for brew enhancer? Double check the tag vs product and my guess is that it's a simple error.

In any case, if you're after money-saving tips - don't buy branded ingredients that can be purchased either in bulk or unbranded at decent brew shops.

:blink:

Where can you buy bulk enhancers??? I can only ever find the 1kg bags and i feel it would be cheaper if i could buy them with more than one use in them...

complain at the checkout..if still not happy..consumer affairs or office of fair trading..

Where can you buy bulk enhancers??? I can only ever find the 1kg bags and i feel it would be cheaper if i could buy them with more than one use in them...

I got a secret for you:

Coopers Brew Enhancers contents:
Brew Enhancer 1 - 60% Dextrose + 40% Maltodextrin
Brew Enhancer 2 - 50% Dextrose + 25% Maltodextrin + 25% Light Dry Malt

Now all you need to do is buy the ingredients separately and add them in. Your LHBS should have it all, if there any good.

Dextrose can be bought alot of places, LDM and maltodextrin from LHBS.

Both Woolworths and Coles (and most supermarkets) are part of the Scaning Code of Practice. Therefore if you get charged at a higher than advertised price you can return and get the item for free.

I hardly think Woolworths are going to bother to 'scam' their customers when they already fleece you legally ;)

Fil

I just bought 1kg bags of "Brigalow" brand dextrose from Big w for under $3 each. Their Coopers LDM is also reasonably priced...I think around $5.80

I personally hate the term "enhancers" or "improver" or any other bullshit term that makes (in particular) newish brewers think it contains some all conquering ingredients that will make great beer everytime.

From an ingredient point of view i reckon it's one of the biggest scams, and area of potential pitful for most new brewers....

And as mentioned above, if anything at woolies or coles every scans at the checkout for higher than it is listed on the shelf, then you are entitled to have the item for free.

Spent the best part of a decade in the supermarket industry paying my way through uni.......

so Nath what would you recommened for the new brewers like myself???

steve is that what you used for your blonde i tried?

This maybe a dumb question....but...Does dexrose have a use by date???

No, but it does absorb water from the air and turn hard, so it's best to divide it into 1kg (or whatever amount you're using) portions when you first open the bag so that you're not stuck chipping bits off.

PS I got Coopers Dextrose for $3 a kilo from Big W. Though did balk at their prices for Brew 'Enhancer'.

Latest posts

Back