Who's Heard Of Farro?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtus

#beerbackhome
Reaction score
Master chief just had a mystery ingredient of farrow, which the contestant picked as barley. It was a bit of a trick as real minestrone from southern Italy uses farrow, not barley. It is not something I have heard of.

Anyone else heard of it?

It's Farro, dude, and I've heard of it... I believe it's a varietal or has an ancestry with Wheat, not Barley. old Italian grocers used to sell Farro pasta, I remember Farro Spaghetti anyway. Benefits of living next to an Italian family

I think that was primed to be the last ingredient to be guessed, as the weird and wonderful, but it kind of backfired... On another note, who the hell wouldn't guess salt, pepper and garlic? What kind of Italian minestrone doesn't have those three?

On another note, who the hell wouldn't guess salt, pepper and garlic? What kind of Italian minestrone doesn't have those three?

They were saving those for when they got stuck.

And yes I've heard of it but never used it nor seen it nor would I have picked it over Barley.

couldnt belive she didnnt say salt pepper or GARLIC how italians that

I got the impression they were saving the obvious ones...salt pepper garlic...for the end...

Old mate must have been confident it was barley...

I would of been more impressed if it was Faro they had in there not Farro

I would give 10 points to a chef who could identify a sweetened lambic in a dish....

Maybe it is only funny to me.....exit stage left ;)

Lindemans_Faro_Lambic.JPG

it looked like barley to me. actually i thought it was a fairly stoc standard recipe for ministrone soup (bar the farro)

edit: mind you my old mans a ex-chef and doesnt do things by half measures.

Emmer wheat (Triticum dicoccon), also known as farro especially in Italy, is a low yielding, awned wheat. It was one of the first crops domesticated in the Near East. It was widely cultivated in the ancient world, but is now a relict crop in mountainous regions of Europe and Asia.

Spelt (Triticum spelta) is a hexaploid species of wheat. Spelt was an important staple in parts of Europe from the Bronze Age to medieval times; it now survives as a relict crop in Central Europe and has found a new market as a health food. Spelt is sometimes considered a subspecies of the closely related species common wheat (T. aestivum), in which case its botanical name is considered to be Triticum aestivum subsp. spelta.

Faro
Historically, a low-alcohol, sweetened beer made from a blend of lambic and a much lighter, freshly brewed beer (called meertsbier, not necessarily a lambic) to which brown sugar (or sometimes caramel or molasses) was added [2]. Sometimes herbs were added as well. The use of the lighter beer (or even water) and of substandard lambic in the blend made this a cheap, light, sweet beer for everyday use. The 19th century French poet Charles Baudelaire commented on Faro's (to him) disagreeable aftertaste, "It's beer that you drink twice", believing that the Faro in Brussels was brewed from the waters of a river (the Senne or Zenne) that was also used as a sewer.[3]

The sugar was originally added shortly before serving, and therefore did not add carbonation or alcohol to the beverage (because the sugar did not have the time to ferment). Modern faro beer is still characterized by the use of brown sugar and lambic, but is not necessarily a light beer. The use of meertsbier has disappeared, and modern faro is not viewed as cheap or light. Modern faro is bottled, sweetened and pasteurized to prevent refermentation in the bottle. Examples are produced by Cantillon, Boon and Lindemans.

Thanks wiki

There was a segment on Landline (? I think) last week about Spelt, it is now being grown in Australia as it produces a superb bread and the Italian style bakers can't get enough of it. Really making a comeback according to the show. It also yields better in dry years which makes it a very promising 'new' crop.

better we grow spelt than rice. growing rice which is so water thirty a crop in our climate. MADNESS I TELL YOU! although we do make nice rice.

Faro
Historically, a low-alcohol, sweetened beer made from a blend of lambic and a much lighter, freshly brewed beer (called meertsbier, not necessarily a lambic) to which brown sugar (or sometimes caramel or molasses) was added [2]. Sometimes herbs were added as well. The use of the lighter beer (or even water) and of substandard lambic in the blend made this a cheap, light, sweet beer for everyday use. The 19th century French poet Charles Baudelaire commented on Faro's (to him) disagreeable aftertaste, "It's beer that you drink twice", believing that the Faro in Brussels was brewed from the waters of a river (the Senne or Zenne) that was also used as a sewer.[3]
Faro shandy anyone? lol

better we grow spelt than rice. growing rice which is so water thirty a crop in our climate. MADNESS I TELL YOU! although we do make nice rice.
We are doing a roaring trade with India at the moment, they are establishing networks of Subway style stores and their local wheat is unsuitable for making subs, footlongs etc (to do with having to bake them on the premises, you need a certain type of flour). Send us your Basmatti and we'll send you our wheat :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back