Who uses a mobile tablet for brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeddog

Reaction score
Looking at getting a tablet from Santa and will need it to be good for my brewing needs. I do have beersmith on PC.
Is beersmith any good as an app?
Can I make recipes?
Can I follow inventory?
Can I add my profile and stuff from PC?
What tablet is a good choice for my needs?

Can't add inventory, can use cloud, can make recipes, I think its a good app and regularly use it on both my phone and tablet. It does need to be updated with more features though. In terms of using your tablet for brewing in general, for me its a definite yes, I use brewtoad for recipes, I use brewer's friends brew day checklist on my tablet throughout the brew day to check off what's been done. I use the timer on beersmith on my tablet for my hop additons and to view my recipe.

Sent using my Asus Transformer tablet :p

I use beersmith on my ipad for brew day, awesome app. The pc version obviously has more content but once the recipe is created and on the cloud I open that bad boy on the pad and hook in.

I used to brew with my tablet but when stirring the mash with it the screen went all weird.

Jokes aside, I have beersmith on my tab, works well.

_Mick_ said:
I use beersmith on my ipad for brew day, awesome app. The pc version obviously has more content but once the recipe is created and on the cloud I open that bad boy on the pad and hook in.
This is what I thought that I would do.

In reality I print out from the desktop, use the printout for instructions and note taking during brew day and then enter the results back into Beersmith on the desktop.

Where I actually use the iPad version is when I want to look at or tweak my recipes when away from home. It's great for that.

I have tried a lot of apps but in the end there wasn't just one that did all I wanted. I have my own brew sheet I made and beersmith on the pc and I use brew timer on the phone for timers. There is an app called Wort on andriod that can import xml recipes from beersmith good for tweaking when not home but thats about it.

I used to just print the brew day sheet, then used the phone app but found it a bit restrictive. I prefer to use my laptop so I can enter notes, easily change things if required.

Nizmoose said:
Can't add inventory, can use cloud, can make recipes, I think its a good app and regularly use it on both my phone and tablet. It does need to be updated with more features though. In terms of using your tablet for brewing in general, for me its a definite yes, I use brewtoad for recipes, I use brewer's friends brew day checklist on my tablet throughout the brew day to check off what's been done. I use the timer on beersmith on my tablet for my hop additons and to view my recipe.

Sent using my Asus Transformer tablet :p
I did read some where that updates are coming for pc and tablet very soon from memory.
As for the app I just stick the laptop where im brewing and do it all on that

I have the app and find I too just use it when I'm away and want to tinker with making a recipe. At home I still just print out my Brewmate brewday sheet and have that on hand, taking any notes I need to, transferring these to the notes section of Brewmate when I get a chance. I'm going to try out the Brew timer app that someone mentioned, looks good.

jc64 said:
I'm going to try out the Brew timer app that someone mentioned, looks good.
I've tried out most of the iStore brewing timer apps and Brew Timer is the best.

I use this even with the BM as the BM timer only allows for three hop additions.

Will probably get a tablet or use the phone app more on brewday when beersmith allows syncing with dropbox or inventory sharing between devices

Beersmith will never synch with dropbox, since he wants to sell cloud storage space, and it's how he can make an ongoing living off the program.

The Beersmith app is great in conjuction with your computer. Said computer recently met an unfortunate incident, and working with the app only for 5 months til I could get a new computer was a PITA. Not impossible at all, it's just flows differently from the desk/laptop software and there are things like inventory you can't do. If you're thinking of app only I myself wouldn't recommend it. If you're thinking of app and full software, absolutely go for it. It is a very helpful piece of brewday software. I use the app every brew.day

fair call, hopefully he doesn't restrict the ability to change your install path.

If the cloud storage is expanded to allow inventory and more recipes/ingredients etc then I'd happily pay a small fee rather than use dropbox as a workaround

Latest posts

Back