Who Here Brews With Recultured Cooper Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pablo_h

Reaction score
I recultured cooper yeast from a few stubbies of CPA to make my own CPA. I have in stock S04, US05, nottingham etc dry yeasts too, but you know what they say, dried yeast can't have all the properties and flavours of liquid yeast since the drying process stuff yeasts up. I'm also buying Wyeast to match certain styles, like london yeast and bavarian yeast. But what has everybody done with coopers yeast?

I've saved a lot of it, and recycled it through a few brews, repitching starters etc. I'm just after info and what beers the yeast suits and what's been successful with it, and what turned out all wrong. I like the stuff, it's coopers ales that got me interested in home brew, and it's been a hardy yeast, works fine at a low temp unlike other dried ale yeasts, tends to be strong and quick at starting fermentation too.

I recultured cooper yeast from a few stubbies of CPA to make my own CPA. I have in stock S04, US05, nottingham etc dry yeasts too, but you know what they say, dried yeast can't have all the properties and flavours of liquid yeast since the drying process stuff yeasts up. I'm also buying Wyeast to match certain styles, like london yeast and bavarian yeast. But what has everybody done with coopers yeast?

I've saved a lot of it, and recycled it through a few brews, repitching starters etc. I'm just after info and what beers the yeast suits and what's been successful with it, and what turned out all wrong. I like the stuff, it's coopers ales that got me interested in home brew, and it's been a hardy yeast, works fine at a low temp unlike other dried ale yeasts, tends to be strong and quick at starting fermentation too.

Hi,

It is the only yeast to make a CPA imo.
I have made a CPA and then dropped a Porter or a Stout onto the yeast cake a few times and those beers are tops.
I dont think it would be suited to any styles that dont make allowances for that slight hint of fruity sweet if you know what I mean.
Nothing is set in stone when it comes to brewing so let your imagination run wild!

Cheers

yer ive had excellent results, good attenuation, and consistant at different temps. one of my old yeast standards ;)

Just bottled a CPA clone using recultured yeast from 2 stubbies and into a 1L starter. Took 2 weeks in the primary to get it down to a FG of 1009. One word that comes to mind is BANANA, it smells like those cheap banana lollies!!

You could brew most of the ales styles using this strain or even a stout, only way to find out is give it a go!

Temperature control is important with this yeast. Keep it cool or it will taste liike bananas.

16 degrees works well for me with it.

I've always wanted to try it in a wheat beer of some description, call it an "Aussie Wheat".

I've done a few brews with Coopers and find temps over 20 degrees gives the banana taste. When brewed at cooler temps 16-19 it isn't so apparent.
I'm currently brewing a dark ale using a 800mL starter and the gravity has dropped from 1056 to 1016 in three days and seems to have stabilised. Due to the strong flavour of the beer if the banana taste is there I can't detect it!

Has anyone tried using Coopers yeast in a Hefeweizen to give the banana taste?

Yeah, I've had no problems with banana, seeing the ambient temp right now where I live is 16*C
Hefe is exactly what I was thinking about since I've heard about the banana. But I've already got wyeast bavarian to use.

...Matter of fact, there was a confusing incident, where the CPA went into the Weizen, and the weizen yeast went into the Classic Pom Pale Ale.
That was in the daze of DME and WheatDME. Heady days, days of swine and rozes.

Both beers were my private shame, until now :eek: .
Neither was quite right, but the Pommie Weizen was less pleasant than the Weizen with Coopers yeast.
One of my mates quite enjoyed the Pommie pale with the W3056 (IIRC), and that is his private shame revealed.

Les da Weizguy, alter and weizer

P.S. pablo_h, use the Wyeast Bavarian, whether it's the Bavarian blend W3056, or the W3638 Bavarian wheat (it's the prince of weizen yeasts for me ATM). There is no substitute for the right yeast. Sometimes it takes a weird experiment to re-affirm the inappropriate use of the yeast, for other styles.

I use it in my AG coopers clone and it turns out great IMO

has anyone used it in an APA type beer or an IPA?
would be interesting to see how it goes :) I am guessing it would be reasonable...!

just buy S-33. same thing just hasnt been alco stressed from the bottle

just buy S-33. same thing just hasnt been alco stressed from the bottle

This yeast is $1.20 per 6 gram pack. Are you saying this yeast is best in Pale ales.... say better than US05?

Latest posts

Back