White Rabbit Dark Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped by the brewery a few weeks ago and grabbed a fresh glass. Vvvvvery nice.

Do you mean in Healesville? Last I heard (quite some time ago) they had closed the brewery bar. Is it open again?

Do you mean in Healesville? Last I heard (quite some time ago) they had closed the brewery bar. Is it open again?

The brewery bar is open, I was there last week in Healesville. Nice place for a drink - pot belly in the middle with couches, bottling line on one side, mash tun and kettle on the other. I preferred the White on the day, which was very good - the Dark had a late hop character not entirely appealing to me - the guy behind the bar mentioned the brewers have been experimenting with it a little.

The brewery bar is open, I was there last week in Healesville. Nice place for a drink - pot belly in the middle with couches, bottling line on one side, mash tun and kettle on the other. I preferred the White on the day, which was very good - the Dark had a late hop character not entirely appealing to me - the guy behind the bar mentioned the brewers have been experimenting with it a little.

Excellent, sounds like it is still the same as when I was there. The olds are within walking distance so I had ought to figure out when we are going to visit them next...

I think its back to 7 days operation now, 11am till 5pm. Bit of a shame it doesnt span out longer in the evenings during weekends, would be a fantastic place so have a nice session by the pot belly.

Been drinking it both draught (at the Union, Brunswick) and from the bottle. It might be a temperature thing (I leave my bottles out to warm up a bit) but the tap version has heaps more hop flavour and aroma, while the bottle has a whack of peachy fruit esters, almost like some of the ales I recently had in the UK.

You know when I found out about that brewery I said I'd swing by next fishing trip to Eildon but never got around too it. Lads, I think I need to organise a fishing trip to the pondage sometime soon.

On another note, the dark ale is a beer I'm very very very very fond of. That and JSAA are the only 2 beers I buy regularly, however bought a slab of it a while ago and realised that a slab of White Rabbit was more expensive than a slab of Squires, yet a sixer of Rabbit was cheaper than a sixer of Squires.

Weird I thought and did some math on the spot to find out that you don't get a "discount" if you buy it by the slab like you do with a lot of other beers.

Thoughts?

Aaron

Back