White Rabbit Dark Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigo

Reaction score
just wondering if any one has tried this beer and if so what are your thoughts?

MMMMM yes ... many times and it is a great drop... another Aussie classic beer I think !!!

IMO that is ...

I am a big fan. Just hope they don't dumb it down or change the recipe at all over time!

Well, on an unofficial brewery tour there late last year, our guide said there had been talk of going to a lager yeast. I really hope that he had either misunderstood a comment or that they don't make this decision, because I really love this beer as is. It should be noted he wasn't actually a brewer there, but worked on the retail side, so I'm taking that one with a grain of salt. Top bloke though, really let us wander around and check shit out (and slid me a baggie of Cascade out of the coolroom!)

Well, on an unofficial brewery tour there late last year, our guide said there had been talk of going to a lager yeast. I really hope that he had either misunderstood a comment or that they don't make this decision, because I really love this beer as is. It should be noted he wasn't actually a brewer there, but worked on the retail side, so I'm taking that one with a grain of salt. Top bloke though, really let us wander around and check shit out (and slid me a baggie of Cascade out of the coolroom!)

It was proberly a swap to a lager yeast for bottle conditioning through winter.

Having done a clone of this beer previously (4 times) using a lager yeast instead does make a difference .. I only tried it after I had a weekend away with the wife to Byron bay and happened upon a brewery (no idea it was there ;) :p ) ... Wife drank a few and said my beer was better ... but perhaps as a lager instead of an ale .. did it the following week .. SHE LOVED it .... I brought 4 more cornies and a bag of grain and she was happy ... kicking goals all round really !!

I am really looking forward to trying out the WLP 002 yeast when it is released again as it sounds like its pretty close to what is used...

Having done a clone of this beer previously (4 times) using a lager yeast instead does make a difference .. I only tried it after I had a weekend away with the wife to Byron bay and happened upon a brewery (no idea it was there ;) :p ) ... Wife drank a few and said my beer was better ... but perhaps as a lager instead of an ale .. did it the following week .. SHE LOVED it .... I brought 4 more cornies and a bag of grain and she was happy ... kicking goals all round really !!

What was your recipe? I've got a recipe I am going to try soon and would love to see others recipes!

Personally ,
I think its a lovely beer.We were fortunate to have a brewery tour a while back and the smell of the fermentation coming out of the ferment room ( via a hepa filter) was simply amazing .
We did do a taste test between draught and bottle and whilst IIRC , the draught had more hop aroma , some people prefered the bottled version and others the draught.
I think its a good solid craft beer.For a dark ale , i don't mind enjoying a few of these.It has a nice malt flavour that i find slightly chocolatey with some lovely hop balance.
Here is a link to a recipe thread , if your interested in making your own
White Rabbit Dark Ale recipe thread
Cheers
Ferg

I am really looking forward to trying out the WLP 002 yeast when it is released again as it sounds like its pretty close to what is used...
you mean 022 right? I hear that the WY1882PC which is out ATM could be similar to 022, though probably not the same strain.

Personally ,
I think its a lovely beer.We were fortunate to have a brewery tour a while back and the smell of the fermentation coming out of the ferment room ( via a hepa filter) was simply amazing .
We did do a taste test between draught and bottle and whilst IIRC , the draught had more hop aroma , some people prefered the bottled version and others the draught.
I think its a good solid craft beer.For a dark ale , i don't mind enjoying a few of these.It has a nice malt flavour that i find slightly chocolatey with some lovely hop balance.
Here is a link to a recipe thread , if your interested in making your own
White Rabbit Dark Ale recipe thread
Cheers
Ferg

Some of you finest linkage Ferg, puts others to shame.......

More importantly, what are YOUR thoughts!

Beer is what YOU think of it, don't give a f$%k what the masses think, then YOU can make good beer

QldKev

More importantly, what are YOUR thoughts!

Beer is what YOU think of it, don't give a f$%k what the masses think, then YOU can make good beer

QldKev

i havent tried it yet got a six pack in the fridge i let you no what i think after i taste one tonight after work

One of my fav beers. Nice rounded flavour palate, and smoooooooooooooooooooooth!

I stopped by the brewery a few weeks ago and grabbed a fresh glass. Vvvvvery nice.

Last year it was one of the only drinks I would indulge in (on tap) at the Settlers Tavern in Margaret River...I really fell in love with this beer.

Since then I've almost forgotten what the name of it was.

I think I tried a White Rabbit White Ale and was pretty dissapointed by it so I turned against the dark ale aswell.

Just cracked a bottle 20 minutes ago of the dark ale...great beer! I think I might be hooked again. The hop profile is very similar to an amber ale of mine, but the flavour and mouthfeel is just so much smoother and well balanced.

What made it even sweeter? I used the half price deal at 1st Choice to get it for $10!

On a side note, 1st Choice had LC Bright Ale (6 pack) for $15.45; is this cheaper than usual?

Happy drinking lads!

Just thought I'd bump my post count, this looks like a suitable thread.

Back