White Flakes On Top Of Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alboot

Reaction score
I just went to check my Tooheys Draught brew and found white flakes floating on the surface. Also the fermentation has not started after being put down on the 25th of January.
Can anyone tell me what I need to do?

Tip it out, give up brewing, buy a case of Corona....

This guy deserves some credit for at least waiting 2 weeks before seeking further assistance.

I would but this is the first time I have experienced this in four years of good beers, including Corona. Is it just an infection and how do I prevent this from happening again?

alboot, how do you know that fermentation has not started?

And if fermentation has indeed not started, then it's likely that the yeast that you used (which i'll assume was under the lid of the tin) was a dud.

At this point, you have long since past the time required to pitch yeast, so you would have to bin this batch and start again.

Tip it out, give up brewing, buy a case of Corona....

Wow, helpful :rolleyes:

Welcome Alboot!

I'm not sure whats going on with your beer, perhaps you could give us some more info. Has the airlock been bubbling? Can you take a gravity reading with a hydrometer? What temp has it been at?

This brew may not have gone to plan but, you'll learn quickly if you hang around this place :)

Dave.

Thanks Sammy. I figured that was the case. The OSG reading is 1030. There is no smell and I sipped it and it tastes ok. I will feed it to the veges and get started on another.

Thanks Davewaldo.

I have been busy and have not watched the process too closely but now that it is mentioned I have not seen the airlock working which should have woken me up. A slow learner I guess. I will have to wait now for my Cerveza and infused lime to be ready to drink.
Cheers.

If the beer tastes ok but sweet, you may still be able to pitch new yeast. Rather than tipping it out you could spend $3 on some SO4 yeast (or something else) and pitch that. Up to you really. If it has stayed sanitary I don't see why it would have gone bad.

If it has stayed sanitary I don't see why it would have gone bad.

I could imagine many instances where it could've gone bad, but if, as alboot suggests, the beer still tastes ok, it is probably worth the investment of some better yeast.

Back