White Chocolate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-dunn

Reaction score
Howdy

I am wanting to make a White Chocolate Pale Ale but am unsure with regards to my process.

I am a BIABer so my thoughts are to use my "standard" pale ale grain bill and add Monin White Chocolate syrup to the mix. I make my own white chocolate vodka using these syrups and they are awesome.

Do I add the syrup to the cooled wort before frementation or to the keg after fermentation (like "dry" hopping)?

I am tending to lean toward before fermentation as the syrup will have fermentables in it and adding to the already fermented beer would kick start another fermentation.

Possibly even add to the secondary fermentation after I dump my yeast.(i love my conical fermentor)

I also thought that a low IBU hop profile would suit this beer.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated

Cheers

Would add it in the secondary to avoid the yeast stripping the flavour, start with a smaller amount so you don't over-do it.
If you are kegging you are then able to add more to taste at a later point.

Yes Blitzer, I did think that would be the go.

Cheers mate, will let you know how it goes!

PM Ross. He has a white chocolate pilsner with a very distinct white chocolate flavour. In the past he has been quite helpful to me with suggestions on how to get dark choc flavours in a brew so I'm sure he'd help out.

With the dark chocolate, one of the secrets was high cocoa choc in the mash. Not sure if this would also work with the white due to much higher fat content but that's a possible issue no matter where in the process you include it. Maybe in the mash you have a better chance of leaving a lot of it behind? Pure speculation on my part.

manticle said:
PM Ross. He has a white chocolate pilsner with a very distinct white chocolate flavour. In the past he has been quite helpful to me with suggestions on how to get dark choc flavours in a brew so I'm sure he'd help out.

With the dark chocolate, one of the secrets was high cocoa choc in the mash. Not sure if this would also work with the white due to much higher fat content but that's a possible issue no matter where in the process you include it. Maybe in the mash you have a better chance of leaving a lot of it behind? Pure speculation on my part.
from memory Ross uses, choc malt and vanilla bean, can't remember where he posted this, if you do find out please post

Back