Whirlpool In A Crown 40l Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that so many people have trouble with whirlpooling in the Crown. I have a 40L concealed element and have no trouble whirlpooling. After using the immersion chiller I take it out and use a long plastic spoon to get it going. Have a good go at it and then leave it 15 minutes for it to finish whirpooling. When draining from the tap I get the smallest amount of trub but I don't let that bother me. Hoppier beers end up with a bit more, but I'm sure I've read some blind tests done somewhere where they couldn't detect a flavour difference, it all settled out in the fermenter anyway.

I have a Crown and have whirlpooled in it in the past, and had no trouble getting a nice cone in the middle.

However, I found that it was drawn into the tap much sooner than it is when I just let it all settle by itself without a whirlpool, so I haven't bothered with it for ages.

I usually leave it for about 15-20 minutes. I also tilt the urn slightly backwards so it settles away from the tap more.

Wow what a necro thread. Well since then I have let it settle for about 30 mins after and I have had pretty good results with that. Still not much of a cone formation (mainly just the hops) but it's settling out pretty nicely now. I get barely any into the cube.

Latest posts

Back