Whirlfloc Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeavyNova

Reaction score
I put down an IPA on yesterday. It was a 'partial' combined with a Morgan's Amber Ale can and some Williamette hops. Towards the end of the boil I added the whirlfloc that came with the kit and as I was chilling the wort I noticed the cold break more than ever.

So this was good, I thought that this means that the whirlfloc is working as it should? When the wort concentrate was tipped into the fermenter it then occured to me if I had spoiled the work that the whirlfloc had done - I had these proteins coagulated then I just piled them in with the rest of the stuff!

Are you meant to remove the cold break or does the 'cold break' sink to the bottom of the fermenter and stay there?

Can those that use whirlfloc in extract/partial type brewing please let me what procedures they use to make the most out of the whirlfloc?

Also, does the whirlfloc do anything to the 'hot break' proteins?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

It's a much debated subject, and I think nearly all would agree that cold break doesn't adversely affect their beer.

OK, I've done a bit more research into this hot break/cold break topic I know very little about.

Basically this is what happen to me;

While boiling the wort I see the hot break
Toward the end of the boil I add the Whirlfloc
Finish the boil and put the big pot into the sink to chill it
Noticed the formation of the cold break
Once it was at 26 degrees I poured the whole thing into the fermenter
Topped up with water to 23L yeast in there too and I'm done.

Seeing as I didn't remove any hot or cold breaks (the whole lot got tipped in) then both the hot and cold break are now in the fermenter. Which means I didn't use the whirlfloc as I should have? In fact the whirlfloc will not be benifiting my brew at all in this case?

Am I correct to think that the whirlfloc helps the hot break settle out which makes it easier for me to remove the clear wort off the top of it (whirlpool and siphon perhaps?). Then chill the clear wort (this is when the cold break will show up). Then tip the chilled wort along with the cold break into the fermenter.

(keeping in mind that the above description is for an ale)

I'm still unsure about this though so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Seeing as I didn't remove any hot or cold breaks (the whole lot got tipped in) then both the hot and cold break are now in the fermenter. Which means I didn't use the whirlfloc as I should have? In fact the whirlfloc will not be benifiting my brew at all in this case?

Am I correct to think that the whirlfloc helps the hot break settle out which makes it easier for me to remove the clear wort off the top of it (whirlpool and siphon perhaps?). Then chill the clear wort (this is when the cold break will show up). Then tip the chilled wort along with the cold break into the fermenter.

(keeping in mind that the above description is for an ale)

I'm still unsure about this though so any help would be greatly appreciated!

That's fine mate, the whirlfloc helps the proteins coagulate. whether they settle and get left in the kettle, or do so in the fermenter doesn't really matter. Some argue it's better to leave them (hot break in particular) in the kettle, but I haven't noticed a lot of difference.

That's fine mate, the whirlfloc helps the proteins coagulate. whether they settle and get left in the kettle, or do so in the fermenter doesn't really matter. Some argue it's better to leave them (hot break in particular) in the kettle, but I haven't noticed a lot of difference.

Good to know.

Yeah I've read that the hot break is the one that some recommend you leave behind. Maybe it does affect the flavour but it wouldn't be so noticable in a flavoursome brew such as an IPA?

Will have to wait and see I suppose.

Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back