Whirlfloc Or Whole Tablet?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carboy

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Written in many places you will find some people recommending a Whirlfloc in a single batch, and others recommend a whole table.

Simple question, which is best.... or Whole in a single batch? (I've been using Irish Moss but thought I'd give Whirlfloc a run)

Thank you in advance for any replies

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

Dosage rate on Whirfloc I purchased from Ross a while back states 1/2 tablet per 23L batch. Any more wont hurt I don't think but would probably just be a waste.

Thirsty Boy gave a great presentation on this at ANHC last year. Short answer is more is not better. Half a tab is oodles for a single batch, possibly even less if you want effective floccing and settlement. I hope TB chimes in with a summation of his trial; it's a very interesting and good piece of work

I initially used 1 tab per 25lt batch and found lots of "fluffy" cold break in my NC cubes. I have found 1/2 tab to give better results in NC.

YMMV.... my 2c......

growler :rolleyes:

I use 1/2 a tablet in a 23L volume. I have used a whole tablet and found the break material to be much fluffier and harder to deal with.

What I'd like to know is what technique/method people use to break their tablets in half.

I use a sharp knife on a chopping board, but it sometimes gets a little messy with the tablet breaking into lots of bits.

Benniee

When buying from the LHBS, select some whole tabs for double batches and some already broken tabs for single batches... ;)

The real ******* is when your bag is left with nothing but powder in it from the last 5 or so tabs that have been mistreated in the last 6 months

If you have accurate enough scales you can weigh a tab, then once you know the weight it does not matter if its all in powder or bits, i do small batches so everything gets broken down and weighed.

I use 1/2 a tablet in a 23L volume. I have used a whole tablet and found the break material to be much fluffier and harder to deal with.

What I'd like to know is what technique/method people use to break their tablets in half.

I use a sharp knife on a chopping board, but it sometimes gets a little messy with the tablet breaking into lots of bits.

Benniee

I find the best way to chop them in half is with a sharp quality chisel.
Gives me a very clean break without the crumbling you can get from trying to use a knife etc etc.

go to the chemist and get a tablet cutter,it has a very sharp blade and only cost a few dollars
Code:
http://www.pharmacydirect.com.au/product_details.aspx?invpid=16658

Thirsty Boy gave a great presentation on this at ANHC last year. Short answer is more is not better. Half a tab is oodles for a single batch, possibly even less if you want effective floccing and settlement. I hope TB chimes in with a summation of his trial; it's a very interesting and good piece of work

Didn't see TB's presentation but have heard over and over again the exact same opinion.

In fact, I have spoken to more than one knowledgeable brewers who have said, more is actually detrimental to the desired affects of it....

But have had mixed opinions on whether it goes in at 15 or 10... :ph34r:

2c.

I thought it was 20min :lol:

Schooey, I just hold mine over the side of a laminated benchtop and snap

Benniee

I have a pair of pincer pliers like this. pincer.jpg
They always give me a clean break when doing half batches.

Drew

Does too much whirlfloc take out wanted proteins and affect the head retention?

I use my brute strength to snap them in half.

Dunno what they do
Dunno if I could even tell the difference without them...but I do it because I was told to.

Hmmm,
The instructions on the packet from the HBS is quote:-
Use half a tab per 20-25 litres.
Dissolve in aprox. 250ml cold water and add 15 mins. before and of boil.

Seems to work. :mellow:

Seriously u blokes need knives? Mine just break in my hands. It seems I must have a dodgy batch
I just go by the instructions. 1/2 tab per 23L @10min

I spotted a packet of "Copper Tun" (Brewcraft) Whirlfloc tablets at LHBS today, and the instruction on the packet said... Use 1 tablet per 23 litres.

So much mis-information and ignorance .....

A quick search would have located this.

I use 1/3 tablet per 50 litres to give flavourfull beers of brilliant clarity

So much mis-information and ignorance .....

A quick search would have located this.

I use 1/3 tablet per 50 litres to give flavourfull beers of brilliant clarity

Don't let the truth get in the way of AHB talk :beer:

Seriously u blokes need knives? Mine just break in my hands. It seems I must have a dodgy batch
I just go by the instructions. 1/2 tab per 23L @10min

Not a dodgy batch. Every packet I've ever bought has crumbled with ease.

1/2 tab per 20-25 L

Back