Whirlfloc Or Whole Tablet?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so ...I will just use this thread to ask my question.

brewing away there yesterday BIAB...you know the missus is gone away ..the kids are at the aunties for the night.

Music is pumping ..beers are going down quicker than a 17 year old school girls at schoolies week.

Wake up today and noticed I forgot to put the whirlfloc tablet in.
It is all up and running in the fermeter with yeast etc.
What happens if you don't put it in?
I did notice it was bloody muddy looking...but everything was a bit muddy looking at the time.

Read Thirsty boy's post just a few up the page from here & all will be answered.

cheers Ross

I usually use a quarter or third for a 46L batch.

Last brew i did i threw in a teaspoon of polyclar, i'd read it can be used as a kettle fining agent, i threw it in at 30mins by mistake but the wort was so clear ouit of the kettle, probably the clearest i've ever had. I still used a little whirfloc too.

Read Thirsty boy's post just a few up the page from here & all will be answered.

cheers Ross

thanks ross.

Looks like I might be ok then.

I will call it prison beer...if anyone asks why its so cloudy.
Done on purpose of course..

just to throw a spanner in the works here is my un whirlfloced beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
just to throw a spanner in the works here is my un whirlfloced beer.

Doesn't really mean much. Whirfloc isn't really used to make the final beer in the glass look a certain way.

Last edited by a moderator:
well...I have no idea what it is used for.
It was clear like that from the first schooner, great head retention , tasted good ( my mates love it - not a good gauge though ) it definitley works. ..it is approx 5%
I used gellatine and had it in the fridge for about a week.
all up 14 days from BIAB to drinking.

I do agree with Beernorks you can get beer clear with or without it. But without a whirlfloc you'd better have a truckload of patience!
Clearing that beer will take a few weeks longer.

Thirstyboy actually did a discussion at ANHC last year on this very subject.
He did samples with different amounts placed in each. Adding 2 whirlflocs (much too much) to a standard 19L/20L batch actually had a detrimental effect on the time it took to clear if I remember correctly. The beer took almost the same time to clear as the sample with no whirlfloc in his tests! The no-whirlfloc sample did take quite a large amount of time when compared to the whirlflocced samples using standard amounts. That's if I remember his talk correctly - it was a year ago.

I tend to use a half a tab for ales and a full tab for lagers - and use a full one when I do 40L or higher. How the hell you could cut one into a third is beyond me! :blink: Crush it and measure it out?

But as Beernorks infers you can indeed be patient and not use them, by letting the beer condition, the yeast drop out, and then cold clarify it for the results he appears to have on that youtube link. (Or just give the beer plenty of cellar time and it will clear all of its own).

Hopper.

I will keep using it..I just stuffed up and forgot to put it in ...I thought I would have muddy beer with no head..turned out ok in the end.

Chuck them away and get some brewbrite.

Now widely available, I've got a few Whirlfloc tablets left from the old days, probably chuck them in my next spring clean up.

Back