Whirlfloc In A Wiezen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughyg

Reaction score
I have been using whirlfloc in my brews lately with great success. However, Im putt'n a hefe down tomorrow and thought it might not help this beer keep to style. what are peoples thought for this? Or would using the whirlfoc and not cc'ing produce a better beer?
Cheers
Hughyg

lol when i brew a wheat beer (say, on a saturday) i dont use whirlfloc. i no chill in a cube, transfer to a fermenter and add yeast and ferment on the sunday and dump the whole lot in, cold break and all. ferment it out crash chill, force carb and be drinking the following saturday. Its a great way to replenish the stocks when they are low. :lol:

Haze in a Hefe should be from yeast not chill haze shouldn't it? But if you want to split hairs I guess the Reinheitsgebot wouldn't allow kettle finings :p

The reihbonshywotsis doesn't allow wheat either does it?

Whirlfloc is to take out proteins, hot break material etc. Hefe cloudiness comes from the yeast. Use whirlfloc, don't use gelatine. That's what I did with my recent, very tasty and cloudy hefe.

Depends which revision you're brewing to I guess :D

I have a Hefe fermenting at the moment & I used kettle finings in it.

What's the interest in keeping it to style - for a comp? If so check out the guidelines. You can download them here: AABC Style Guidelines Page

If you are entering a comp, and your beer comes out clearer, you can still enter it as a Weizen - it's just not a Hefeweizen, it's a KristalWeizen (Clear/Crystal Wheat). So if your beer winds up super clear and you're entering it - just make sure it's not in the Hefe category or you might get the infamous 'not to style' in your notes that come back.

Hefeweizen style is normally cloudy. Pour any Weihanstephaner Hefe or Shofferhofer Hefeweizen or other leading imports and you'll see. I guess part of this is from the yeast, but the rest is from it not being filtered or clarified. So no whirlfloc would be totally fine and would mean your beer will indeed wind up truer to style. It's not going to affect the flavour any with or without one. Many people when doing wheat kits actually add wheat flour to cloud them up for competition so cloudiness is actually encouraged in this style when you get to official guidelines.

Also the yank's version of Weizens - American Wheats, often use whirlflocs in their recipes too. But they're a style that breaks with German convention anyhow. For most traditional Hefe's recipes there's no need to use whirlflocs or filter IMHO, unless you like it that way.

Hopper.

I like to brew style. It helps me formulate a recipe. I like to aim for something. I read something that said these beers are filtered then have a lager yeast added at bottling. So maybe they use whirlfloc as well to keep hot break out of ferment

Whirlfloc is to take out proteins, hot break material etc. Hefe cloudiness comes from the yeast. Use whirlfloc, don't use gelatine. That's what I did with my recent, very tasty and cloudy hefe.
Yeah, wot he said!.

If you don't need to rouse your yeast to get turbidity, you have been lazy in the process.
I rouse the keg every time I serve now, fwiw.

Yep, hughyg, but not all bottle with lager yeast, which is said to extend shelf life. Notably, Schneider use the fermentation strain to perform the secondary ferment in the bottle. Even when a true hefeweizen/ weissbier yeast is filtered and added back at minimal numbers to ferment the krauesened wort and avoid excessive yeast character.

Any questions? BTW the search engine is your friend. I think this topic has been done before.

i wish it was my friend! I can never find anything on it. I tried to search this topic but it came up with like 200 posts on stuff like what you brewing, etc!!!

Hugh,

Did you try the advanced options, and google search?

search_tip.jpg

I found this one that covers it, and it was on the first page of hits. I reference the Eric Warner book on German Wheat beer, from the Classic Beer Style Series.

Hope this helps.
Beerz

My most recent hefeweizen, using WY3068, was my best yet by a long shot.
I used a full tablet of Whirfloc towards the end of the boil.
My hefeweizen is usually cloudy from the yeast, although my normal practice is to only put my daily consumption in the fridge first thing on the day, so I guess it doesn't have much time to drop out of suspension.
However, I left a number of bottles in the fridge for some days before a trip away last weekend. They were clear in the bottle after cold storage for those days.
So, I'm with Lez and will continue to use Whirfloc.

KEttle finnings work to bind proteins together and drop them to the bottom to clear the beer.

This is no different with a wheat beer. Wheat beer should be clear as a whistle. Its the yeast that makes it cloudy and adds character.

you dont want to leave break in your beer.

I add wirlfloc (i use Koppafloc) to all my beers! Wheats included.

cheers

I think the resounding answer is "do whatever you want.,its still gonna kick arse.

What's the interest in keeping it to style - for a comp? If so check out the guidelines. You can download them here: AABC Style Guidelines Page

If you are entering a comp, and your beer comes out clearer, you can still enter it as a Weizen - it's just not a Hefeweizen, it's a KristalWeizen (Clear/Crystal Wheat). So if your beer winds up super clear and you're entering it - just make sure it's not in the Hefe category or you might get the infamous 'not to style' in your notes that come back.

Hefeweizen style is normally cloudy. Pour any Weihanstephaner Hefe or Shofferhofer Hefeweizen or other leading imports and you'll see. I guess part of this is from the yeast, but the rest is from it not being filtered or clarified. So no whirlfloc would be totally fine and would mean your beer will indeed wind up truer to style. It's not going to affect the flavour any with or without one. Many people when doing wheat kits actually add wheat flour to cloud them up for competition so cloudiness is actually encouraged in this style when you get to official guidelines.

Also the yank's version of Weizens - American Wheats, often use whirlflocs in their recipes too. But they're a style that breaks with German convention anyhow. For most traditional Hefe's recipes there's no need to use whirlflocs or filter IMHO, unless you like it that way.

Hopper.

If you're after a yeasty beer in a competition you can also specify on your entry label that the beer must be poured 'mit hefe'.

Latest posts

Back