Whirlfloc.. and what then?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blink471

Reaction score
Hi all... just posting a question after a brew day today.

I did my boil of wort and hop additions.. came time for 15min whirlfloc addition while Chilling.

Thought a quick stir to whirlpool dregs to the bottom was needed .. but not sure if that was right?

Was time to put into fermenter but there was a huge amount of white matter sitting in the bottom of pot. Because my volume seemed down and if I didn't add it
to carboy i would be way of the mark with volume.

Is that what you do with Whirlfloc when added?

And let it settle in carboy and either rack to secondary or leave it?

It certainly created a lot of dregs in brewing pot.

A bit confused.
Cheers

My understanding is that yes it drags a lot of solids to the bottom of your boil kettle (as intended) and that the majority of this should be left behind in the BK.

Like you, with minimal tech, I just give it a good solid whirlpool stir at flame out.

I tend to get a little run through the chiller into the fermenter. What does go through to the fermenter ends up falling into the trub for minimal ill effect.

Kettle finings can be a bit of a issue, not enough or too much can cause the trub not to settle as well as it could, so can adding the fining at the wrong time as the actual fining material will get denatured if it is in the boil too long.
I find adding Whirlfloc any more than 10 minutes from the end of boil reduces its effectiveness. A few years ago I discovered BrewBright and haven't gone back. For best results make up BrewBright into a slurry with cold water and add when whirlpooling - makes a huge difference.

Mark
fine.png

Careful....you might start an argument.

Dont be to worried if you get a little or a lot of trub in your fermenter. The beer will still taste ok but avoid it if you can. Some people will say it doesnt matter at all and is even good for the yeast, others will say that you should have as little as possible. In general Id say its good practice to try and avoid as much as you can in in the fermenter. From what I can gather its bad for flavour stability and so bad for any beer you are going to store or condition for a long time. From my limited experience with keeping the trub out, you get better looking beer and better tasting beer, quicker. Especially with lagers. Either brew a few litres more to allow for it or try and filter it as it goes in to the fermenter. Filtering is futile if you ask me. Its generally best practice but from what I can tell no body actually knows for sure. Even among commercial brewers. Bottom line is trub in the fermenter might be bad. No trub can only be good.

Do a search for trub in the fermenter. Theres plenty of good info about.

Edit: maybe went of topic. I prefer Brew Bright as well. I think Whirlfloc have a use by date. I have noticed similar results without using any finings ,ie trub at the bottom of the kettle. Maybe due to boil quality or different malts?

Never used whirlfloc but I have found that Irish moss added for the last 10min of the boil ( .75 Tsp for 19-23ltr ) then leave as much crap as you can in the bottom of the BK as possible when transferring to fermenter works well . I also add gelatine to my secondary after cold crashing to 2c for 3 days before bottling. But everyone has a different way that works for them.

What you have found is normal. Drop thw crap to the bottom so you can leave it behind.

If volume is short, adjust recipe -whether ingredients or process or both.

If you go into the 'all trub is harmless trub' camp (to which I do not belong), forget kettle fining additions altogether.

manticle said:
If you go into the 'all trub is harmless trub' camp (to which I do not belong), forget kettle fining additions altogether.

Yeah well I fell into that camp.. wasn't sure what to do. Maybe a rack to secondary is required. I like to try things so might look at Brew brite or whatever it is. Haven't seen that in LHB but will check it out.

Make sure you get that kettle to a good rolling boil. This will help hot break material and give out nice big flakes

I have used Irish moss/whirflock at 5-10mins and it worked well.

I try to keep as much trub IN the kettle so I get a nice clean beer

Just my 2 cents worth.....

I've been home brewing for about 3.5 years now and have followed what is probably a common path.

Originally didn't use anything to clear the wort and got a lot of sludge in my bottles, which meant a very cloudy brew as well as wasting a proportion of my hard earned brew.

Tried adding cooking gelatine 3 days before bottling with a couple of brews (I think it was 2 teaspoons of gelatine powder mixed with 1 cup of luke-warm water, which is then allowed to reach the same temp as the wort. Then very carefully slow-pour onto wort surface). This actually didn't do a bad job and cleaned out the brews nicely. But my concern was with the possibility of infecting the brew at a late stage.

Then tried whirfloc tablets (added at 15 min to go of boil) and this appeared to clean out the brew a little - it definitely compacted the trub in the bottom of the bottle - but sometimes this prohibited the carbonation process. I don't think this worked as good as the gelatine.

Then I got my fermentation fridge and tried cold crashing. I have to say that this has proved to be the best solution for me to create a clean brew. I simply cold crash to 2C for a minimum of 3 days (generally 5 to 3 days) before bottling and the brew comes out so clean and clear. It also compacts what sediment there is in the bottle - so I get to drink virtually 99% of the beer from the bottle. The only down side is that carbonation takes an extra week to come up to drinking standard (max. 2 weeks in the bottle before drinking) - I guess this is a result of the low temp of the brew when bottled, which takes a few days to get up to 18+C for the carbonation to get going. But that's well worth the cleanliness of the brew.

Cheers,
Pete

We are talking about two very different processes.
Kettle Fining is used to help protein, tannin/protein complexes in the kettle settle out faster, it has no effect on yeast (well at arms length) as it stays in the kettle.
Fermenter finings (like Gelation, Isinglass, to some extent Silica...) cause the yeast to clump and settle faster. Ideally you will have less yeast when you package which makes the beer clearer and yes slower to condition. Isinglass helps coagulate both yeast and haze (protein/tannin complexes) and if used properly (yes its a pain) will remove more from the beer than will gelatine.
Process aids are also used and sometimes mixed with finings PVPP is part of both BrewBright and 70/30, in BrewBright it is mixed with carrageenan (the active ingredient in Irish Moss), PVPP chemically binds haze forming protein in the wort reducing chill haze. 70/30 is a blend of PVPP and Silica, it binds both protein and tannins further reducing the haze forming potential of the beer. These products aren't finings as such that's why they are called process aids.

Proper use of both kettle finings and fermenter finings (and process aids in some beers) can and will make a huge difference to a beer, I'm not saying that all beers need intensive treatment, nor that in all beers its a good idea, just part of the collection of tools we have in the kit.

Mark

Ok, so what's the difference between brewbrite and whirlfloc? Specifically what is actually in both products and why is brewbrite favoured by some brewers over whirlfloc?

Whirlfloc

A blend of Irish Moss and purified Kappa carrageenan that encourages the precipitation of haze causing materials such as proteins and Beta glucans. Prepared in a quick dissolving, highly soluble tablet form. Almost everyone who tries Whirlfloc tablets prefers them to regular Irish Moss.

Brewbrite

Brewbrite is a kettle fining and beer stabilizing agent, primarily for All-Grain brewing where there is a large proportion of hops and grain used. It is a mixture of Kappa-Carrageenan (an extract of seaweed sometimes called Irish Moss) and Polyvinylpolypyrolidone (or PVPP, commonly used in finished beer before filtering).
Brewbrite clarifies wort in much the same way as Whirlfloc tablets but more effectively, and prevents further haze forming right from the day the beer is brewed. This makes for excellent appearance and stability of the finished product and in some instances completely removes the need for filtering.

Irish Moss

Chondrus crispus—commonly called Irish moss or carrageen moss (Irish carraigín, "little rock")—is a species of red algae which grows abundantly along the rocky parts of the Atlantic coast of Europe and North America. In its fresh condition this protist is soft and cartilaginous, varying in color from a greenish-yellow, through red, to a dark purple or purplish-brown. The principal constituent is a mucilaginous body, made of the polysaccharide carrageenan, which constitutes 55% of its weight. The organism also consists of nearly 10% protein and about 15% mineral matter, and is rich in iodine and sulfur. When softened in water it has a sea-like odour and because of the abundant cell wall polysaccharides it will form a jelly when boiled, containing from 20 to 100 times its weight of water.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Whirlfloc

A blend of Irish Moss and purified Kappa carrageenan that encourages the precipitation of haze causing materials such as proteins and Beta glucans. Prepared in a quick dissolving, highly soluble tablet form. Almost everyone who tries Whirlfloc tablets prefers them to regular Irish Moss.

Brewbrite

Brewbrite is a kettle fining and beer stabilizing agent, primarily for All-Grain brewing where there is a large proportion of hops and grain used. It is a mixture of Kappa-Carrageenan (an extract of seaweed sometimes called Irish Moss) and Polyvinylpolypyrolidone (or PVPP, commonly used in finished beer before filtering).
Brewbrite clarifies wort in much the same way as Whirlfloc tablets but more effectively, and prevents further haze forming right from the day the beer is brewed. This makes for excellent appearance and stability of the finished product and in some instances completely removes the need for filtering.
Thanks for the great explanation Ducatiboy stu, now Polyvinylpolypyrolidone sounds like some really seriously harmful chemical?

Polyvinylpolypyrrolidone (polyvinyl polypyrrolidone, PVPP, crospovidone, crospolividone or E1202) is a highly cross-linked modification of polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP).
The cross-linked form of PVP is used as a disintegrant (see also excipients) in pharmaceutical tablets.[1][2] PVPP is a highly cross-linked version of PVP, making it insoluble in water, though it still absorbs water and swells very rapidly generating a swelling force. This property makes it useful as a disintegrant in tablets.
PVPP can be used as a drug, taken as a tablet or suspension to absorb compounds (so-called endotoxins) that cause diarrhoea. (Cf. bone char, charcoal.)
It is also used as a fining to extract impurities (via agglomeration followed by filtration). It is used in winemaking. Using the same principle it is used to remove polyphenols in beer production and thus clear beers with stable foam are produced.[3] One such commercial product is called Polyclar. PVPP forms bonds similar to peptidic bonds in protein (especially, like proline residues) and that is why it can precipitate tannins the same way as proteins do.[4]
PVPP has E number code E1202 and is used as a stabiliser

Just hope its not bad shit to be ingesting mate. Just because its approved for use in food doesn't mean to say its non toxic and non carcinogenic...But then again what is alcohol.

It's not something that's designed to be ingested.
When used properly, it chemically binds with unwanted particles and drops out of solution.
You leave that behind when transferring.

If I were to ingest some I'd hope it binds to some of the residual Maccas that's in my guts and drops it out of suspension too.

And while I don't want to drink plastic particles and generally prefer to add less rather than more to my beer, being afraid of something being a chemical is silly if it being a chemical is the only reason to be afraid.

By all means be skeptical, research and be knowledgeable about all ingredients but water is a chemical, hops contain chemical compounds, chemicals are not in and of themselves evil. Without chemicals, we die.

I would prefer some natural algae over some kind of plastic, but you are dead right Manticle

Alcohol is a solvent, kinda like petrol, only you can drink it

Latest posts

Back