Which Yeast For Honey Wheat Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barto1308

Reaction score
Im looking at making a honey wheat beer, and was wondering what yeast others had used in the past with success. I was going to use some WB-06, but was interested if anyone else had other ideas

cheers

Barto

Personal opinion but honey wheat beers are horrible even at their best no matter what yeast you use, you wouldn't ussually use a wheat beer yeast for them though, most would be standard ale yeast.

The honey flavour isn't that strong - so you should be aiming to make a really good wheat beer with a honey twang. 3068 or 3638 are both good choices.

WB-06 doesn't generally get many good reviews.

I used US-05 in my honey wheat beer. Not much honey flavor though.
I used only 500g in the brew. I would probably experiment with more if I did it again
It was suggested that when making a honey wheat beer you steer clear of eucalyptus based honeys as it flavours the beer with eucalyptus.
The beer turned out quite well though and was fairly drinkable.

+1 for wyeast 1010, the staple yeast for the Mrs summer honey wheat.

I'd probably look at an american ale yeast too, something neutral so you could taste the honey though you might want to spice it a bit in secondary. Honey on it's own doesn't give you that much flavour, whatever isn't fermented out leaves just a hint.

It seems to work very well in the White Rabbit White Ale - grab one and try it for yourself if you haven't already. Being a Wit style they use corriander seeds, juniper berry and bitter orange peel.

Maybe try cinnamom..? :ph34r:

Personal opinion but honey wheat beers are horrible even at their best no matter what yeast you use, you wouldn't ussually use a wheat beer yeast for them though, most would be standard ale yeast.

so jayse, did you get my last bottle of ryebox honey ale for supercoach? :icon_cheers:

Back