Which Yeast For A Stout?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mb83

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Brewing a stout tomorrow and can't decide on which yeast.

What have you had the most success with out of the following?:
Nottingham dry yeast
While labs London Ale WPL013
WY1099 Whitbread Ale?

Cheers,

Michael

What style stout? If it was an irish dry you'd want to use the notto?

edit: Sorry, whitbread Ale too

i reckon the english yeasts are better suited. Gives a touch of fermentation character. Especially important if your going for the bog standard irish dry grain bill (roasted barley, flaked barley, pale malt). If your grain bill has more complexity, then the neutral yeast may work ok.

Personally, although I am a fan of Nottingham in darker ales, I prefer my stouts with a little yeast character in addition to the malt.
So I'd be going for either of the other two generally speaking.

This can depend on your style of stout of course, and I don't think you'd make a bad stout with Nottingham, just that the other two would be my choice.

I should state that I haven't actually used those two liquids myself, but I have tasted beers brewed with them.

Love an english ale yeast in my stouts!

Brewed both Warrens 3 and 4 shades of stout with ringwood and the 4 shades with the cask ale.

Next stout with throw the west yorky (wy1469) in to bat.

Still got time for another stout before the weather warms up here!

I would rather have a pint of stout that has first been used as an enema than drink a stout that was brewed with Wyeast 1084 :icon_vomit: :lol:

Maybe not........

Now what movie did i see that in?

Brewed both Warrens 3 and 4 shades of stout with ringwood and the 4 shades with the cask ale.

I tried one of the 4 shades...think it was the one with the 1026, but not sure. Either way, it was a cracking beer.

I'm drinking an oatmeal stout with 1469 at the moment. What a yeast!

I'm drinking an oatmeal stout with 1469 at the moment. What a yeast!

:icon_drool2: Thats what I was planning to use in an up and coming oatmeal stout!! Yum!!

I have a dry stout currently fermented with Nott. Very nice, but maybe a little more yeast character wouldn't hurt. Whitbread leaves a fair bit of body (makes a sensational mild, IMHO)...maybe a mix of Nottingham for the dryness and 013 or Whitbread for the character? In fact I think I'll do just that for my next.

Stout with character?

Try the Chimay strain (1214 ?) or the Ardennes strain.

tdh

Stout with character?

tdh

OK, bung it on the to do list.
(Thinks) Hmmm, imperial?

Guys, I think he wanted feedback on the strains he mentioned, which doesn't include 1084 (which, by the by, I reckon goes ace in a dry stout ;-)

MB83, if you can let us know what style of stout you are brewing (dry, sweet, russian imperial, foreign extra, etc), we could give you a little more constructive feedback (but not too constructive :p )

Cheers - Snow

Notto :beerbang:

Done an Export Stout and a Dry and it comes up yum! For simplicity in the dry yeasts, the Danstar Nottingham takes off like a rocket and ferments out quick, then tastes great. Can't go wrong!

Hopper.

Thanks Guys,

I ended up doing two batches, one WLP013 and one whitbread. I had slurry for these two.
I decided to let the Notto packet live to fight another day.

Not sure what kind of stout, prob dryish. I wanted to show a mate how to brew using stuff from Wollies,
(though I did end up throwing some caraaroma and dark crystal in 'cos I could). Recipe was
one can Coopers stout, 1kg of Saunders liquid malt extract (in the jam aisle) with 100g each of Cacaaroma and Dark Crystal.

Will def try Nottingham next stout.

Cheers,
Michael

Stout with character?

tdh

belgian stout - now theres a good idea. I've had the odd belgian stout and they are bloody good!

Back