Which Starter Kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't buy anything from wollies etc if you can avoid it. While it may cost you a bit more, the advice you get from a HB store is worth every cent.
As for exploding bottles, so long as you follow all instructions to the letter you won't have exploding bottles, as this only happens if:
a) You bottle before it's finished fermenting
B) you add too much sugar when you bottle.

Thats sounds like a REALLY good deal. Are you sure it's a bench capper? The total price for all youve listed sounds a little too cheap (arent bench cappers alone worth about $70, and an ESB kit about $25?)

To the opening post, if you are around St Mary's I would go talk to Pat (at absolute, see above) I reckon if he's not busy he'd be the kind of guy to spend whatever time required to give you the rundown on what to do with the gear as a newbie.

But of course here at little old AHB is going to be your best resource for information.

100% sure its a bench capper because I bought that exact kit.

$50 normally for bench capper and $35 for ESB kits I think

Don't buy anything from wollies etc if you can avoid it. While it may cost you a bit more, the advice you get from a HB store is worth every cent.

Not sure I agree with this. Make sure your LHBS's advice is actually worth listening to first. Also, sad but true, Woolies will usually have fresher stock in the bog standard kits.

And you can get every bit of info you need about anything they sell at Woolies here, anyway.

As for following all the kit instructions - IGNORE the kit instructions completely. Read about fermenting temps and gear sanitation here, Much better and more accurate info than on the kits.

Not sure I agree with this. Make sure your LHBS's advice is actually worth listening to first.

I think the point was that a shop with a good reputation like Absolute Homebrew will give you assistance and advice, but Woolies won't give you anything but a receipt.

I can vouch for the deluxe kit and the advice I've received from Absolute Homebrew. I'm now brewing all grain, still buying from AH, and don't regret my first kit at all - especially the bench capper. I also think you'll get better beer from the ESB kit than from a Woolies or Coopers purchase. It's encouraging to start out with something that actually tastes good, rather than adequate.

And as for the glass vs PET issue, there's a lot of information if you search. You shouldn't be bottling into either until fermentation is completely finished, so I prefer glass.

Back