Which for new BIAB'er? 40l urn or Rays 40l pot & burner?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you recommend for new BIAB'er?

• 40l Crown/Birko Urn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rays 40l crab cooker & burner

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

zeggie

Reaction score
Hey guys, pretty keen to move away from KK and jump straight into BIABing now. (Probably famous last words) really only keen on single batches so have narrowed down to

Rays/BCF burner + 40l crab cooker + ball valve

or

Crown/Birko 40l urn

Price difference doesn't concern me between the two. My thoughts are urn is ready to go straight away, whereas need to install ball valve etc (don't have any tools)
but the gas burner gives flexibility of a larger pot/keggle in the future.

Opinions?

I voted "Rays/BCF burner + 40l crab cooker + ball valve", but I would try and find a 50L pot

Urn can also be used in future if (lets be honest, more like WHEN) you go bigger :)

If you go BIAB with a pot, the pot can be used in future for a HLT or Mash Tun...

Is gas supply going to be natural or LPG? LPG can be a PITA... well it was for me until i got into my new place with a NG outlet outside... Urn is simple, plug and play...

In hindsight, im pretty happy with my BIAB w/50L keggle... ONly because im moving to 2V soon (just the good old esky mash tun...

Depends a little on your future plans. I started with a crown urn and biab, then built a single vessel system with the urn, now have a double batch 3 vessel rims and use the urn as a HLT. The 3V is all electric as it's cheaper than gas and easier to use/automate.

A couple of things to take into consideration. If you get an urn with an exposed element, you'll need a false bottom, or some other method to keep your bag off the element so it doesn't burn. If it's a concealed element, not so much of a problem.

FWIW, I've gone for a crab cooker from BCF. Mainly because I won a voucher in a members draw, and when the pot came on sale I ended up getting for under half RRP. I was going to use gas, but ended up installing an electric element and ball valve. I put four bolts in the bottom of the crab cooker insert to keep my bag off the element and put my bag in the insert. This also makes it easy to pull the bag, I just pull the insert out and sit on an oven rack over the pot to let it drain back in while I bring it up to a boil.

defiantly worth looking for a 50 liter pot, I got mine for $50 at an Asian supermarket, 40L is just under the mark for a 23L batch

Back