Is This Urn Ok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adz1179

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im looking to move to an urn for full time biab... just wondering if anyone has any feedback on the one here:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/48-litre-tea-co...=item4159ccd800

the temp control looks a bit cheap and nasty, and there is no brand :unsure: thing is, im limited to $200 or under, so the crown and birko are a little out of reach...

option 1 - this urn
option 2 - stock pot, ball valve, gas burner...

appreciate any feedback.

This has been brought up a few times, better waiting till you have the extra $100 and you have a friend for life :beerbang:

This has been brought up a few times, better waiting till you have the extra $100 and you have a friend for life :beerbang:

oops... :unsure: did a search, but didnt come up with too much, hence the post...

fair call...

GO THE BLUES :beerbang:

Hi guys,

Im looking to move to an urn for full time biab... just wondering if anyone has any feedback on the one here:

the temp control looks a bit cheap and nasty, and there is no brand :unsure: thing is, im limited to $200 or under, so the crown and birko are a little out of reach...

option 1 - this urn

appreciate any feedback.

Have a look in the ebay thread, those urns suck big time.

I would be looking at
A decent 50L stock pot - http://www.allquip.com.au/home/index.cfm?f...amp;startrow=16 = $93.50 + post
2200w s/s heating element from Ross $37.90 + $7.95 cord
stc1000 Temp controller <$25.00
Tap allowing all the crap to fit it, $20.00

You will do it cheaper, have a 100 times better system, and not be left with a cheap crappy thin wall pot.

QldKev

edit: added some price ideas

+1 for QldKev's recommendation. You will also end up with much more accurate temp control with this option too.

Cheers SJ

You will do it cheaper, have a 100 times better system, and not be left with a cheap crappy thin wall pot.

QldKev

Most urns are crappy thin wall wall pots arnt they? mine is and have used it exclusively as a hlt only for years. Would I want to start drilling holes and fitting taps etc? no. Would I mash in it? yes but I dont biab.
Whats wrong with thin wall pots if you can insulate them during the mash, dont overdo the drilling. Its a win on the $.
I had a look at a Braumeister :wub: first hand last Thursday. I would say they are thin wall, but I am comparing to what I have being s/s.

edit, I did drill my crappy urn, a 6mm to fit an inch of beerline with a digital probe thru that.

Hi guys,

option 1 - this urn

appreciate any feedback.

I wouldn't go near it. I bought a 30L version and it broke pretty quickly. I ended up spending the money for a Birko anyway.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=46556

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=49675

Why would you need a thick walled pot if you are not using gas? More is often less as Butters would say. My ideal urn would have a wall made from one-molecule thick zircoptium.
Watch you don't slice your fingers off when washing it out, best to invest in a ZircoZapper zircoptium ultrasonic surface cleaner :icon_cheers:

Or get a Crown of course.

I had a look at a Braumeister :wub: first hand last Thursday. I would say they are thin wall, but I am comparing to what I have being s/s.

yes the tin foil and rubber bands that they make the braumeister out of is very deceiving.

thats a bit rough ps

thats a bit rough ps

Not at all,i wish i had have been able to buy one of these 17 yrs ago when i started brewing.
Put 2 brews through last weekend and am planning a leftover ingredient brew for Saturday night as we speak.Tongue firmly placed in cheek as we all know real men/brewers dont use a tin foil and rubber band brewery

Not at all,i wish i had have been able to buy one of these 17 yrs ago when i started brewing.
Put 2 brews through last weekend and am planning a leftover ingredient brew for Saturday night as we speak.Tongue firmly placed in cheek as we all know real men/brewers dont use a tin foil and rubber band brewery

Ahhhhh :D , can I visit for a demo?

A decent urn will not dent / rust like some of the cheaper s/s pots and urns will. They will last many years, and if you started life out with BIAB and want to move to 3V (as I am in the process off {ok for a while now} ) a good urn can become a great HLT.

If you get a commercial grade pot as I linked to earlier, you even have a choice of using it with a gas burner later. So that is a win win situation!. Just to top it all off you get a 50L pot and not be restricted to a 40L vessel. And the proper temp controller to dial up a mash in temp for BIAB or 3V rocks! As big78sam said, he ended up buying the correct part anyway.

Never seen a Braumeister so can't comment.

Buy what ever you feel happy with, as long as it can serve you for many years.

QldKev

Another voter here for those urns being a piece of shit.

I purchased one of the 30lt models and thought i'd stumbled on a bargain, but no....It broke after half a dozen brews. Went the aluminium pot route with an element installed. Much better than that urn.

A crown or a birko however, different story entirely.

QLDkev, thanks for the links and prices... thanks everyone else for the feedback...

so i guess i either wait for a bit more cash for the crown or birko, or the 50lt pot with additions... im not the most handy bloke, are the additions difficult to fit? also would that element get you a boil? or would you need gas & a burner also?

i can see the benefits of both, but as you said QLDkev, i want something that will do the job, last a long time and be suitable for the inevitable next move...

:icon_cheers:

QLDkev, thanks for the links and prices... thanks everyone else for the feedback...

so i guess i either wait for a bit more cash for the crown or birko, or the 50lt pot with additions... im not the most handy bloke, are the additions difficult to fit? also would that element get you a boil? or would you need gas & a burner also?

i can see the benefits of both, but as you said QLDkev, i want something that will do the job, last a long time and be suitable for the inevitable next move...

:icon_cheers:
I have used that element in a 50l keggle. It is a little slow to get to the boil but it will give you a rolling boil.

Matt

I have used that element in a 50l keggle. It is a little slow to get to the boil but it will give you a rolling boil.

Matt

I used one for the first time on Sunday in a 40L pot with just over 30L water in it. Got a really good rolling boil. Wasn't that slow with that amount of liquid. I'm impressed.

Latest posts

Back