Which Element(s) For Boil Keggle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clayton get a magnetic drive pump. You do not have to change the speed just restrict the flow with a ball valve

Yeah, but the conroller would be easier to operate, and make my control panel look cooler!
Just not sure if the low votage through the pump would give it grief in the long term.

Yeah, but the conroller would be easier to operate, and make my control panel look cooler!
Just not sure if the low votage through the pump would give it grief in the long term.

Claypot I'm unsure what pump you are using but at least for the March Pump, the manufacturer has commented in the past that it needs to maintain it's standard speed to achieve optimum cooling. I think Tony was looking at doing this a few years ago but opted out after that info. If you want to keep the bling factor up on the panel you could incorporate a stepper motor controller which throttles the pumps output with an electrically actuated ball valve
Cheers
Doug

If it is a AC pump, as in the case of the March, then do not reduce the voltage; and using a magnetic drive you can reduce the outlet flow.

If it is a DC pump, lower voltage means less heat, therefore it is ok; unless you are running it to almost stall speed.

QldKev

I bought this element a week ago and the seller is a shonky *******. The listing states that the element is 297mm long and has a stainless steel boss. The element I received was only 200mm long and has a brass boss. When I asked if he could supply the advertised element, he said he couldn't as his supplier was out of stock and that the length of the element didn't matter. He did offer a refund, but it's going to cost me about $20 in postage charges. I'm amazed the listing is still active despite the fact he knows he can't supply the advertised product.

Glad I ended up ordering from an online Aussie supplier then instead. The element I ordered and linked to above has the same part number as the eBay listed element and looks to be made by 'Email' which is a company I am familiar with so hopefully I get what was advertised. It looks to have a brass threaded boss but I'm pretty sure the one in the eBay auction was nickel plated brass or something anyway, I was a bit dubious about the stainless steel claim.

Cheers kelbygreen and QldKev.
I looked into it a bit more and on an AC motor if you drop the volts the currant (amps) must rise, means more heat in windings, means less fan spead for cooling, means shagged pump motor.

Well unfortunately StoveConnection.com.au did not have any stock of the 3600W element left and apparently their suppliers no longer make them?

I contacted the eBay seller mentioned earlier and confirmed that one he has in stock is actually different to the one described in the auction as per hotchilli's experience - thanks for the heads up! I'm sure it would probably work ok, but the thing that worried me was that it's only about 200mm long which to me means more heat out of a shorter element and more likely to have problems with scorching wort? I may be wrong but I'd prefer to pay a little extra for some added element length to be safe.

So I ended up sourcing from these guys: http://www.thermalproducts.com.au/hotwater...aterheader.html

3600w, 1" screw in boss and 300mm penetration. It looks very well made, about $55+GST

Latest posts

Back