Which cleaner and sanitizer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peaky said:
Yes, I used to use jerry can fermenters that you can't get a brush or cloth into to give them a clean. Tip in half a cap of sodium perc, fill the fermenter up with water, give it a good shake and leave it to soak for a day. All the crap would rinse straight out and they'd be sparkling clean inside. Then sanitise with Starsan.

Exactly what I do with the jerrys, never been anything left after a day.

+1 for sodium perc to clean, star san to sanitize. Up until about 2 months ago I only used sodium perc, rinsed well and never had an infection. StarSan is cheap though so it is good insurance.

[SIZE=medium]If you can afford it, PBW is the dogs b******s for cleaning, but it is expensive.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]I others use sodium percarbonate / unscented napisan for cleaning depending on what is most convenient,as many other do. I’ve only found 1 Sydney LHBS that stocks pure sodium percarbonate so far. I think Beerbelly was the cheapest I’ve found online (about $5 a kg), but shipping costs quickly mount up.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Some mix sodium percarbonate with something else to approximate PBW. I’ve read the threads here and elsewhere on it, but haven’t yet had any dirt I can’t shift with a soak or 2 in sodium percarbonate.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium][/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Phosphoric Acid sanitizer has the same active ingredients as Starsan and is often around ½ the price. But you don’t need to use a lot so the saving might not be that great over a year or so[/SIZE]

HBHB said:
Sanitiser (Starsan) Vs Cleaner (metasilicate)?
Sorry, I meant Sodium Metabisulfite. That'll teach me to read posts properly before contributing :blink:

Sodium metabisulfite should be banned and all refferences of it taken from the interwebs

Ducatiboy stu said:
Sodium metabisulfite should be banned and all refferences of it taken from the interwebs
Has it's place in winemaking, fresh ciders and meads, but sheesh - give yourselves a chance to make decent beer and go with something better.

Acid based sanitisers FTW.

Latest posts

Back