Which cleaner and sanitizer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stehowardtlr

Reaction score
Just started brewing some kit n kilo stuff. I'm wondering what stuff to use for cleaning and sanitizing. I've got a couple of sachet's that you get when starting up but they are expensive to buy a few. Want to know what to use and where to buy from.
Cheers Steve.

i use pure sodium percarbonate and sodium metasilicate for cleaning, and starsan for my sanitizer. ive been on the same bottle for over 7 years now.

The cheapest non scented nappi-san you can find. The Aldi one is popular. The beast cheapest cleaner you can get.

Someone told me that pure sodium per-carbonate from the LHBS is cheaper than napi-san ?
I'll have to compare the amount of active ingredient.

But I do what Barls said.

barls said:
i use pure sodium percarbonate and sodium metasilicate for cleaning, and starsan for my sanitizer. ive been on the same bottle for over 7 years now.
Barls
What is the generally accepted ratio for sodium percarbonate and sodium metasilicate?

Can you just use sodium perc to clean fermenter and bottles then starsan to sanitize ?

ok i use a 2;1 ratio of sodium percab to meta silicate. then depending on what im doing depends on the dosage.

+1 to cheap napisan for cleaning and starsan (or similar) for sanitizing. Starsan is quicker and more effective than sodium metasilicate too IMHO.

isn't napisan a brand? what's the Aldi version you guys refer to called?

I have been using iodophos to clean and sterilize my fermenter and bottles etc. Am i doing the right thing, is it actually meant to be just a cleaning fluid or can it be used as a sterilizer also?

Just been to aldi and bought some napisan. There is 2 available. I got the one with oxy action. Is this ok?

I use the blue and white label one from Aldi. Think the last one I got was on special for 2 fiddy a kilo.

I think a few people might use the oxy one?

Crypto said:
Can you just use sodium perc to clean fermenter and bottles then starsan to sanitize ?

Yes, I used to use jerry can fermenters that you can't get a brush or cloth into to give them a clean. Tip in half a cap of sodium perc, fill the fermenter up with water, give it a good shake and leave it to soak for a day. All the crap would rinse straight out and they'd be sparkling clean inside. Then sanitise with Starsan.

Dazzbrew said:
I have been using iodophos to clean and sterilize my fermenter and bottles etc. Am i doing the right thing, is it actually meant to be just a cleaning fluid or can it be used as a sterilizer also?
Idophos is a sanitiser. Not a cleaner.

Sanitiser, thanks. If only it was no rinse. I might look in starsan for convenience.

does anyone know if Iodophor and Iodophos is the same thing?

Latest posts

Back