Where To Put The Fan In A Kegerator?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexbrand

Reaction score
Hey mates!

I am about installing a fan into my kegrator to prevent / solve some problems (bubbles in the beer line, unreliable temperature probes, etc.). But I ran out of ideas. Has anyone a picture of his fan installation for me and would like to post it here, please?

I think about putting it under the ceiling with blowing direction to the bottom. If I install it at a side wall I get problems with the space for my 4 kegs which just fit exactly. Am I right with this idea?

Alex

Hi Alex,
Id say, it doesnt matter where the fan is, it only matters to have a fan at all.

:icon_cheers:

So just throwing it in should be enough? :D Okay, I'll stick it under the ceiling.

Thanks.
Alex

Alex, & pointing downwards Id say that would be perfect. That's how I had mine placed & less than 1c varience over the whoile 1100 cubic area.

Cheers ross

I get similar results to Ross with my fan blowing up from just below the collar. I should imagine that as long as you circulate the air vertically, you should be fine.

Another vote for doesn't really matter. As suggested at least have it pointing somewhat downwards. Remember that the fan does not create air, it drags air from behind it and pushes it forward, so the air behind the fan is being circulated too.

There was a thread around recently describing quite accurately how to wire a computer fan using an old mobile phone charger. Can't find it at the moment but I will post it when I do.

EDIT:

There's this one.

Also, this one.

Neither were the ones I was looking at the other day, I think theres a picture somewhere, but anyway.

I couldn't believe how much of a difference the fan made to my setup ! I had all sorts of problems with bubbles in my beer lines and a huge variation in temps between the top and bottom of my fridge :angry: . My fan is currently just loosely sitting on top of my 4 kegs and pushing the air down. Such an improvement for such a simple addition. Go the fan !
Cheers
Doug

Excellent! I just pulled a 140mm fan out of my dead 13 month old AeroCool PSU and wondered what to do with it. Now I know!

i've got a q, can you swap the wiring in a freezer lid from the light to run a fan ?

Cheers
Yard

That depends on whether the light is 12V DC or 240V AC, and what your fan requires.

i've got a q, can you swap the wiring in a freezer lid from the light to run a fan ?

Cheers
Yard
And will need to bypass the switch or the fan will only run when the lid is open :) .

And will need to bypass the switch or the fan will only run when the lid is open :) .
Good thinking (my freezer doesn't have a light).

I have my fan wired to a microswitch so it only runs when the lid is closed. You don't want to blow all that lovely cool air straight out the top when you open it.

Cheers
Yard

Genious! I will try it this weekend and let you know ;)

Thanks for that mate!

If I want to put a fan in my fridge. It has a light, but what would I wire it up to? I am not a spark so need to talk in simple talk. If I wire up to the light and removed that button switch thing near the door this should keep the fan going 24/7? can I just use a old computer fan?

steve

If I want to put a fan in my fridge. It has a light, but what would I wire it up to? I am not a spark so need to talk in simple talk. If I wire up to the light and removed that button switch thing near the door this should keep the fan going 24/7? can I just use a old computer fan?

steve
Well, as yardy says above, his light measured 240V, so if you're no sparky, you'd be better off going the 12V route. If you wire a 12VDC fan to a 240VAC supply, you will blow the pisser out of it and possibly hurt yourself or start a fire. Stick with low voltage stuff. I wired my fan to an old printer power supply at 13.5VDC.

OH Crap. just relised that I use my temp controller on my fridge that cuts the power when not running. Might need to use the fridge thermostat to maintain power to run the fan. Just dont know where the best place to run the wires to.

Well, as yardy says above, his light measured 240V, so if you're no sparky, you'd be better off going the 12V route. If you wire a 12VDC fan to a 240VAC supply, you will blow the pisser out of it and possibly hurt yourself or start a fire. Stick with low voltage stuff. I wired my fan to an old printer power supply at 13.5VDC.

So have a separate power supply? not the fridges?

Thanks mates for all the comments and suggestions. Today I will installt somewhere in the upper part pointig down. I am just thinking about howto do it without drilling more holes or using to many screws. May be I use some glue. The insulation already looks like a swiss cheese. ;)

There was a thread around recently describing quite accurately how to wire a computer fan using an old mobile phone charger.
Found the thread, but not necessary, I can deal with the two wires at the fan.

My kegerator already runs on 230 and 12 V so I have no proplems with the voltage. When I installed my digital temp controller I had to install 12 V for it, the power supply is strong enough. But the idea gives me another clue: somewhere in my "archive" must be an old fan with blue illumination... so I'll do some fridge modding... ;)

I have my fan wired to a microswitch so it only runs when the lid is closed. You don't want to blow all that lovely cool air straight out the top when you open it.
I installed an ordinary swith just to stop or run the fan. Because in my machine the door switch still controlls the light. May be now I have to paint the light bulb blue as well? ;)

In three weeks my kegerator has its world premiere. A birthday party. Well, not mine but my brother in law's party.

Alex

Latest posts

Back