Where To Place Your Temerature Control Stick

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The King of Spain

Reaction score
I used to stick the thing to the side of my fermenter, but of late I have had bottles doing secondary fermentation sharing the fridge. I made the decision to keep the stick taped to a bottle even though I have a brew (same yeast) in the fermenter. My reasoning is that the temperature is more likely to fluctuate with the small volume in a bottle so is better placed for finer adjustments. Also by the time the fermenter triggers the thermostat, the fridge is also likely to be on for long enough to realy drop the temperature in the bottles.

Can anyone see any holes in that theory? What about the heat generated from the fermentation process itself in the fermenter?

Cheers

I think that by the time the heat of your fermenting wort conducts through the plastic fermenter then radiates to your bottle then raises the temperature of your bottle enough to kick the fridge in, it will be too late for your beer. The bottles dont care much what temperature they carb up at, the yeast in teh fermenter is choosy about how it behaves. I would stick the probe back on the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back