Where To Buy Small Glass Carboys

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in my LHBS today asking after a demi-john so I can play with small batch ciders - something I hadn't even thought about until this thread, so thanks for the idea! Only at the last minute before purchase did I think to ask for a bung and airlock and the thing is he discovered he doesn't stock bungs to suit. He had many demi-johns but sold nothing to seal them. Have I come at this from the wrong angle? Are airlocks not used with these? The guy didn't look at me funny when I asked for one - he was more like "Oh yeah, of course." Although, I am on record as not having the most faith in my LHBS attendant.

Airlocks can be used with these, although I suppose you could use glad wrap and a rubber band.

When I got my demijohns (some time ago) I got them with bored bungs which you could put an airlock into.

Yeah, I was asking for one of those. Afterwards I did think about the gladwrap method and while I know many people like this method I do find the airlock somewhat re-assuring. I guess I'll just try another HBS at some other point.

The rubber bung for these bottles looks skinny and like a rubber wine cork as far as width on top of the taper. They are ditty compared to the big rubber buggers we use in the full sized demijohns.

I'll try and dig up a zoomed in picture if I can grab it off another post.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

EDIT: Picture
DemiBUNG.jpg

Of course this is for full size fermenters and would be big for 5 litres but if you buy and ship over a 5 litre size siphon you are stuck in case you want to use it with big fermenters. With the large fermenter kit you can look silly but still get it in a 5 litre glass Growler is my thinking.

I'd be keen for one of these - but I'm not sure about the above statement - from the piccy it looks like the orange part seals on top of the carboy. Unless the prage cap slides up and down the cane I don't think you could use this for small batches.

I'd be keen for one of these - but I'm not sure about the above statement - from the piccy it looks like the orange part seals on top of the carboy. Unless the prage cap slides up and down the cane I don't think you could use this for small batches.

No, you'd have to buy a smaller bung, drill out and reuse some components from the big kit for your small kit, mostly the hepa filter disc.

The seal could be used as you only need to press down on the rubber top only while you are blowing to start the siphon, after it is running you do not need the seal to be perfect unless you only want HEPA filtered air to enter your fermentation vessel. Personally I'd rather take it out as soon as the siphon is running to preserve how many uses you get out of blowing through it before replacing the filter as I'm all for turbo quick and easy siphon not sterile racking environment where you use up the filter pulling all that air through it.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Thanks for the bulk buy calculations Pete,

If a Bulk buy with the Canberra club eventuates please let us know!

thanks for all of the replies.
one of my LHBS has the demijohns, %L narrow neck, 1 gallon and the wide neck.

I would probably be in on a bulk purchase.
but what size neck would the siphon fit? assuming i buy a 5L or 1gallon demijohn

I was in my LHBS today asking after a demi-john so I can play with small batch ciders - something I hadn't even thought about until this thread, so thanks for the idea! Only at the last minute before purchase did I think to ask for a bung and airlock and the thing is he discovered he doesn't stock bungs to suit. He had many demi-johns but sold nothing to seal them. Have I come at this from the wrong angle? Are airlocks not used with these? The guy didn't look at me funny when I asked for one - he was more like "Oh yeah, of course." Although, I am on record as not having the most faith in my LHBS attendant.

Grain and Grape stock the necessary bungs and airlocks (mini 2-piece) to suit 5L glass demijohns. And if you are referring to BrewCraft, they have no idea what the hell is going on.

reVox

Nah not BrewCraft. But I have established that my local isn't a great deal better.

Thanks for the tips, Brewer Pete and ReVox.

The inner diameter and outer diameter for the carboys used in the States are 3 1/2 centimeters and 5 1/2 centimeters approximately.

The 26" Stainless Racking cane has a 3/8" diameter which is 9.5mm or close enough to 1cm.
26" long is 66cm therefore this is designed for fermentation vessels up to (6.5 gallons) 24 litres in size.
There is a smaller one for 18.9 litre (5 gallons) fermenters.

A large demijohn will be close to 4cm inner open diameter.
A small 5l demijohn will be close to 3cm inner open diameter.

You have plenty of room to work with. Just a tall cane sticking out when working with your 5L small demijohns.

There is a retractable racking cane, again I have never seen them sold in Australia yet, but its not part of the assembled kit above.

I have a bottle filler/spring loaded I use but if you can not picture it. Then watch

With the parts available locally you are currently trying to beat 14.95 U.S. dollars = 18.59 Australian dollars in your component cost to assemble all the parts into the kit on the previous page (66cm/1cm Stainless Steel Racking Cane, Sediment Reducer Tip for Racking Cane, 1.5 metres of 1cm tubing, Stainless Steel hose clamp, Orange Rubber Fermenter Cap with 2 holes molded in, Inline HEPA Filter Disc).

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
hey, thanks for all of the advice. glad that a few others added comments and questions!

looks like my yeast arrives tomorrow and so will have to get the demijohns befor the weekend is out.

Hey Brewer Pete. . . anyone?

Thats a great auto siphon - I'd definitely get a couple (one for me and one for a mate).

There was not originally enough interest to warrant a bulk buy (shipping costs) as other bulk buys were going on at the same time that swamped this one under. But the idea will likely be floated again soon. Probably a small group through canberra brewers and then AHB'rs would need to factor in the additional shipping costs to get them at their homes. But again it won't be right away so its something to know thats neat and nice to have and a future item to jump on if it rolls.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

"But the idea will likely be floated again soon."

Hi Brewer Pete

You reckon the idea might float in a month or two?
Being a lazy sod, I'd like to get a couple of these auto-siphon things though an Aussie syndicate.

I'd have thought that some local brewing supply shop would love to jump on the idea ~ i.e. if the canberra brewers wanted 20 units and say they got imported in 100 unit packs; surely some shop would take the 80 remainders? :eek:

Regards

Even though the conversation has moved on, but I just wanted to add that I used to go down to the local bottle-o and pick up a couple of cheap 5L flaggons plonk (I can remember the price now, but I'm sure I go change from a $20). I usually made vinegar out of the wine inside because it was not fit for human consumption, but the bottles were the perfect size for doing small batches.

Here's a picture of what I mean:

Kvalitetno_5.jpg

Should be able to pick the 5L glass demijohns/fermenters from any good LHBS for around $15. Personally wouldn't pay much more than that, so I didn't!

Cheers

I'd been watching this one last month thinking of putting in a 5ltr batch of cider.

I did, and used a 'demijohn', bought from my LHBS, the brewers den. Went today to pick up a siphon. $14, plastic racking cane and tubing and parts, racking cane is 2 part, extendable (tube inside tube slide out) under the bit that fits into the carboy's mouth, had to trim one part an inch or so to get it to work with the 5ltr bottle. works perfect. Has a tiny second tube to blow in through to start the siphon as well. A pinch clip included as well.

For 14 quid, I can't fault it in any way. planning to siphon the cider into a second carboy, add priming sugar and then attach the 'little bottler' to the end of the tubing to siphon the cider the second time over into bottles.

Latest posts

Back