Where have they gone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fat ******* said:
What we (I, and probably you) think beer is is very different from what the majority of the world think beer is. The vast, vast majority of beer sold is slightly unpleasant industrial lager, and that is because that is what the majority of the beer drinking world want. And they want it because that's what they think beer is.

Look at 90% of restaurant beer lists versus wine lists for proof. Pale lagers aplenty, at the same time that they list all manner of obscure wine varieties.

While I think that this attitude is changing, I reckon it will be a while before whe see the man on the Clapaham Omnibus ( or indeed his good lady wife) ordering a nice APA over a Corona or VB. Or an alcopop or premix bourbon & coke.
Agreed but it's changing down in SA. Quite a lot of restaurants I frequent now have some cracking beers on offer.

manticle said:
Don't be so sensitive. There's enough of that on the baking forum.

You're entitled to an opinion, I'm entitled to disagree with it.
I'm an easy going guy and not so sensitive, its just that you did not read my comments correctly, called it bollocks and I choose to point that out. That's all.
Cheers

the-internet-200-channels-nothing-but-cats-simpsons-cat-in-tv-13913424370.png

I read your comments. It was the last paragraph I disagreed with (women who drink beer have us to make it for them) and the implications from 'I don't bake, therefore...' I've read them again and still disagree.

The bollocks thing was unnecessary but not intended to be taken seriously. If this were the nineteenth century, I might have written Tish! Pshaw! instead.

Matplat said:
<expurgated>The last forum I joined was a vehicle related forum, and in my first post was reprimanded by the moderator because I hadn't posted in the right section (although it could have applied to either) and then again because a post was slightly off (but still related to) the original post. I won't be going back there for sure...

By comparison, here I have had several 'welcome on board' replies and encouraging useful posts etc.
<\expurgated>

Cheers, Matt
I joined a car forum. Still yet to get a helpful reply. Joined coz the car had a problem and needed help to fix.
Here, I felt a little intimidated, but still plenty of welcome messages and helps by pm.
Phoney said:
Just out of interest how many women are in your clubs? I think ISB only have a couple.
None in HUB, as far as I know.

manticle said:
I read your comments. It was the last paragraph I disagreed with (women who drink beer have us to make it for them) and the implications from 'I don't bake, therefore...' I've read them again and still disagree.

The bollocks thing was unnecessary but not intended to be taken seriously. If this were the nineteenth century, I might have written Tish! Pshaw! instead.
Beshrew me, Edmund.

Les the Weizguy said:
I joined a car forum. Still yet to get a helpful reply. Joined coz the car had a problem and needed help to fix.
Here, I felt a little intimidated, but still plenty of welcome messages and helps by pm.
None in HUB, as far as I know.
You'll probably get more helpful car advice on this forum Les! From my dealings with car forums I've found them to contain more enthusiasts than experts.

This is an uneducated guess, based purely on MY experience. We have one female member in our brewclub, but she prefers the 'spiritual side of homebrewing'. My guess is that AHB membership probably reflects society when it comes to proportions of male:female brewers. Nothing sinister, just life preferences. The same thing happens in my wifes jewellery class. No men attend, even though we all know there are male jewellers out there. Its simply that men are less into jewellery than women.

well, i'm female (last time i checked, anyway) and i'm here..... that may or may not be a good thing though :p So here's my take on what's been said so far....

As I am not a huge beer drinker I have started out with cider kits - and yes, I did look through past topics and have not had to ask any newbie questions (yet)...
When I get more confident in my brewing i'm sure I will need to ask advice then - in the meantime I am already inspired to try the orange mead & the galangal ginger beer. At this rate I will need to buy another fermenter. :)

Brewing has a whiff of "secret manly man cave activity" to it that most women might find offputting; thats just my guess though. When I said I was going to try homebrewing, my male friends went "awesome!", while my female friends went "ohhkayy....", looked at me sideways & changed the subject.

But i'm not your average girl. I'm a car nut, I grow orchids, I fish, I hunt, I like guns, I keep 15 snakes, I like my scotch neat and currently hold a state & (pending) national archery record at 50 meters..... and i'm a new & enthusiastic homebrewer.

Welcome to the forum hawk-girl. You certainly have a variety of interests.

It is pleasing to have a female on here and we will welcome your contributions.

If you have any questions on brewing then ask away, there are many on here that will help if they can.

Cheers

I have removed your post Eagleburger...In its context I consider it to be in poor taste.

So, to cut through the ongoing discussion , I hope.
What's the point of this discussion?
Do we want (more) women on/in this forum? I believe that the answer is yes, the can be only so much underlying physcology that is less obvious than this.
So, then what do we have to provide to attract more female brewing enthusiasts? what is it that they want that we don't currently provide?

I'm guessing, that they want what we want from a forum, with less of the bullshit and built in sexism that we exude, without trying.
That is, we have to try not to be such d*ckheads, much like real life really.

My two cents, take it or leave it

Lemon

Back