Where have they gone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently baa baa black sheep is now baa baa green sheep. The world has gone mad with political correctness.
Either that or people are too stupid to critically evaluate what they read.

That kookaburra in the old gum tree has been cleansed of his misguided sexuality. Happy his life must now be.

For that matter, how the hell do you catch a piggy by the toe? Do they even have toes?!

Ok. On second thoughts, that one's fair enough.

Bribie G said:
I grew up in the UK in the 1950s and we had no such constraints, for example when Noddy was mugged and sexually assaulted by N******gas. Loved that book. Would be worth a shitload if I'd ever thought of keeping it :unsure:

attachicon.gif
noddy naked.gif

I can't find the page where he crawled naked to Big Ear's house where he was tucked into bed .........

I want to see that page again so much.

edit: It just occurred to me, the title of that book "Here Comes Noddy Again"
Oh no, no, no, no. .......................................................is nothing sacred.....................
I have this book...

Actually correction, it's my wife's from when she was a young'n.

I read this book to my eldest last year over a period of a few nights. not really knowing what was about to happen to poor old Noddy.

Do the English still go to Blackpool for summer holidays? What about the white cliffs of Dover?

Doesn't removing the word black from all these songs and books sort of give the impression that there is something wrong with it? You tell a kid that they are not allowed to use a swear word as people don't like them and you may hurt their feelings. But doesn't doing the same thing to the word black sort of make it seem like a dirty word or something. I don't know, and luckily have not had to grow up with racism, but isn't the black wool in demand? Don't they want three bags full, the master, the dame and the little boy who lives down the lane. So isn't the song celebrating how awesome black is?
I think I need to go have a beer... My brain hurts...

So what are they going to call black sheep....or cows...or crows for that matter..

Is it now a highly pigmented {insert animal here}..? Is a Crow a really dark shade of grey..?

manticle said:
Making an assumption, based on scant evidence is the main factor that defines any form of prejudice. The personal experience is limited, yet a very large group is assessed because of it.
Where's the experience of the large group?
I'm reminded of the episode in fawlty towers where, during a conversation about women, the Major exclaims 'I knew one once!'.
Just so we're all on the same page, consider this analogy. A person with no real experience or knowledge of beer and its diversity drinks one glass of microbrewed beer that he or she doesn't like. Maybe it's off, oxidised, dirty lines, past best before or just not to taste.
Conversation that ensues? 'Craft beer? Tried that - disgusting. Tasted like chewing on a tailpipe mixed with gum leaves and chalk. Wouldn't waste my time again'.
As for a top achievers list being male dominated - colour me surprised. That is support for arguments that talented women not only have a tougher time getting to the top but are less likely to be recognised when they get there.
Black bess, black spot etc - obviously stupid* and just fuel for the fire burned by people needing an excuse to be bigoted nobs. Not everyone who wants to see other humans treated with respect is as pointlessly shallow as that.
*also questionable - what do you mean by not allowed? Jailable offence or just someone else on the bus will frown when you say it?
Can I admit to being prejudiced, in my days as an employer, all things being equal in the applicants, I would choose a female every time.
It was my experience that if a job required diligence and integrity a female would do a great job...not saying that a male would not, but I was never disappointed in in my choice...had some great managers both male and female.

Bridges said:
Doesn't removing the word black from all these songs and books sort of give the impression that there is something wrong with it? You tell a kid that they are not allowed to use a swear word as people don't like them and you may hurt their feelings. But doesn't doing the same thing to the word black sort of make it seem like a dirty word or something. I don't know, and luckily have not had to grow up with racism, but isn't the black wool in demand? Don't they want three bags full, the master, the dame and the little boy who lives down the lane. So isn't the song celebrating how awesome black is?
I think I need to go have a beer... My brain hurts...
No-one is removing the word 'black' from anything. Some irresponsible reporting and chinese whispers make good, self perpetuating urban myths. People can stop freaking out.

Nah bugger it...I off to buy a black Toyota.

And I am going to insist on a Noddy and Big Ears book to be supplied with it...

And I only want to deal with the female salesperson, but only if she is Muslim. :ph34r: :lol:

Must be time for a drink... :chug:

wide eyed and legless said:
You should have started a thread on racial or religious prejudices Dicko it would have got around to women and why don't they brew.
I like the way you think Mr legless... :lol:

Eagleburger said:
Been my experience that females are too intelligent to pursue something as frivolous as a hobby. The majority of the ones I know are driven to extend their career, families and wealth.
You could be onto something there Eagleburger.....and I will agree the profile of your avatar is far more interesting than the profile of mine.. :lol: :ph34r:

Sorry to drag this sorta on topic, but I've always found this concept of "where are they" counter-productive. Sort of works against the purpose of the question (but I understand where you're coming from dicko).
Working in mining for 8 years now it's heavily male-dominated. Maintenance roles are almost exclusively male, and admin roles almost exclusively female. Equipment operators are about 75% male at least, and underground I don't think I saw a single female vehicle operator either in coal or hard rock. So what's a mining company to do? Promote 'diversity' and specifically recruit females. I've always found though (in my simple mind) that by doing this they're kind of being sexist in the process. After all, if we wanted to treat people equally, by specifically seeking females aren't we inadvertently suggesting that they're not somehow? If we weren't we'd just seek people, and if these people were right for the job then it would matter what race, height, or gender they were.
Some interests are better suited to blokes, some to chicks. A quick walk around a university campus shows that. Brewing happens to be one of those hobbies that generally gets the attention of blokes, and at that a fair portion of them are certain types of blokes (how many of us are in engineering, IT or maintenance/labour?). Just how it is in my opinion.
The hard part I suppose is fitting in. I like girls for different reasons than I like blokes, as is tradition, and it's just unavoidable that a girl in a crowd of blokes stands out. It doesn't take long to fit in but I can understand the difficulty of this hurdle that minorities must face. But once jumped, you're as much a brewer as the next person and just as capable at winning an award or opening a brewery. Or throwing your bittering hops in at 10 mins in your drunken stupor.

Back