Where have they gone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would assume that there more than likely some women on this forum and I can fully understand why they may want to remain anonymous even if only for the fact that they are female.

My reason for starting this topic was to point out that we as a forum could be missing out on some input from a different perspective. That is why I provided the link to our American counterparts.

When the national comp was held in Adelaide a few years ago I tasted a stout that was brewed by a female and from memory she was with one of the Victorian clubs....It was one of the best stouts I had ever tasted.

When this forum first started there were a few women who participated and in the days when I used to frequent brew days that were generally hosted by brew shops an odd female would be present at those.days as well.

Is it the sheer numbers of males on here that puts the females off??
Or are we really just a bunch of chauvinistic pigs with no respect for the fairer sex??

To get back on topic and to give my two bobs worth- I don't like baking so I don't bake, nor have a joined a baking forum. I know times are a changing but I don't know many women that drink beer or have it as their first preference thus don't join beer forums. Women that do drink beer have us to make it or buy it (I recall recently in another topic someone's wife told him "why don't you just buy it" or words to that effect.
Cheers :)

Baking's great. I always kind of assumed that brewers like baking because to me it's just an extension of the cooking process anyway. I'm never surprised when brewers tell me about their elaborate 12-hour smoked ribs, or whatever, for this reason.

Did you know the muslims have banned christmas?

Heh. There was a time when the Christians banned Christmas too. Google 'Cromwell' 'Puritans' and 'Christmas'.

Incidentally it was the Baron who was kinda instrumental for getting me into brewing, though she herself hardly drinks at all. Mostly I do the brewing but she has the ideas for some of the brews and some of them are joint efforts - eg, our meads and ciders.

manticle said:
Bollocks. Some women drink beer, some women make beer. Some men like baking.
If you read what I said, I didn't say all women don't drink beer, I didn't say all women don't make beer and I didn't say all men don't like baking. So "bollocks and sorry to have an opinion.

TimT said:
Baking's great. I always kind of assumed that brewers like baking because to me it's just an extension of the cooking process anyway. I'm never surprised when brewers tell me about their elaborate 12-hour smoked ribs, or whatever, for this reason.
Of course other people like baking, I just said I don't and to clarify when I said baking I meant like cakes, biscuits, bread etc. I love smoking meats etc and put that down to cooking which I love.
Cheers

I'll have all the cakes you don't want then ;)

there's every chance the girls are too busy laughing at us at the moment, they might be enjoying the show

manticle said:
Bollocks. Some women drink beer, some women make beer. Some men like baking.
Cowshit. Most men drink beer, a few women make beer, A lot of men hate baking.

elcarter said:
Cowshit. Most men drink beer, a few women make beer, A lot of men hate baking.
Most men don't drunk beer. Not in the way we here at AHB know it. Most men ( or women for that matter) drink fizzy pisswater and call it beer. We (as in us at AHB) are a tiny subset of beer drinkers, male or female.

Just a point. Please carry on.

I know in target shooting there's a female category for the purpose of prizes. If brewing comps did the same would that help numbers?

Naah. Firearms and alcohol are a big no no. ;-)

TheWiggman said:
I know in target shooting there's a female category for the purpose of prizes. If brewing comps did the same would that help numbers?
No, it would do the opposite.

I think its the fact that the majority of women dont drink beer (.although this is slowly changing ) is a reason they dont brew. As more women come to appreciate beer then more will want to make beer.

Fat ******* said:
Most men don't drunk beer. Not in the way we here at AHB know it. Most men ( or women for that matter) drink fizzy pisswater and call it beer. We (as in us at AHB) are a tiny subset of beer drinkers, male or female.

Just a point. Please carry on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer

We need to amend wiki it's wrong Nothing about AHB! :D

It's a point... from your point of view. Despite what you or for that matter I think beer is. Does not change what they "the majority of the world" think beer is.

The post which was just an inverse was so Manticle could come back with something far more witty and intelligent. It's been a while so it's going to be good.

What we (I, and probably you) think beer is is very different from what the majority of the world think beer is. The vast, vast majority of beer sold is slightly unpleasant industrial lager, and that is because that is what the majority of the beer drinking world want. And they want it because that's what they think beer is.

Look at 90% of restaurant beer lists versus wine lists for proof. Pale lagers aplenty, at the same time that they list all manner of obscure wine varieties.

While I think that this attitude is changing, I reckon it will be a while before whe see the man on the Clapaham Omnibus ( or indeed his good lady wife) ordering a nice APA over a Corona or VB. Or an alcopop or premix bourbon & coke.

My mother inlaw likes my brews so that's all that's counts ,the mother inlaw happy + my wife happy = me with shit load of brownie points ,which I promptly lose at the drop of a hat,usually due to a few too many.
Way OT but I had to throw it in.

It's just numbers. More men than women drink beer, by a very significant margin I would reckon. So it stands to reason that more men brew beer and as such, they are more likely to post on a home brewing forum.

Also, as you would expect on a forum with a mostly male community, the tone of conversation is often heavily male oriented. That might have an effect.

I don't really think it matters too much though.

grott said:
sorry to have an opinion.
Don't be so sensitive. There's enough of that on the baking forum.

You're entitled to an opinion, I'm entitled to disagree with it.

Back