Where do you buy LOW quality ingredients?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Local Maltsters. Not low quality I would say but low price. If they have any to sell to a home brewer etc. Fresh.
You cant really get fresher than a local malted pickup. Again if they have any to sell to you..
Can I name them? Powels Malts. Braeside Victoria. Been lucky enough to pick up the odd 25kg bag.
Its a little rougher than other malts to look at. Its still got some pods, husks, a bit of hay? I don't know the names.
Its slower to go through the mill like its harder or something. Tastes nutty and good.
Total Efficiency 75% like I get with anything else. Tastes and smells malty and nutty. Definitely individual.

Now comparing 2 different Ales very similar. Although a big difference.
The IPA base malt was Powels. FG= 1.007. 6.3% finish and tastes Malty forward.
Au Pale base malt Marris Otter. FG = 1.011 5.0% finish and tastes dryer. Go figure! I just realised this now.
Just learning but if you can get fresh malted grain give it a go.

Good stuff. Go local if you can.
Little boutique maltsters popping up all over the US i hear.
Back in the day the malthouse/brewery and pub were all part of the same enterprise. Spent grain used to feed the livestock to feed the clientele.

If anything, the demand for malt barley should go up, considering an increase in demand for craft beers and the ever emerging home/craft brewery scene

Honestly, I think we will start to see some really interesting things happen in the next and up and coming years

Australia produces top quality malting barley, and farmers are seriously looking at value adding.

I would not be surprised if we see small malters pop up in a few years

mckenry said:
This is not 'very useful'. That was sp0rk's own opinion. He says so.
Joe White is a good malt. Anyone wants to offload their JW to me, shoot me a pm.
completely agree. i've always had great results with JW malts. never had issues.

Yep barley at less than 300 bucks a tonne (?) makes for a potentially good profit margin.

Ducatiboy stu said:
If anything, the demand for malt barley should go up, considering an increase in demand for craft beers and the ever emerging home/craft brewery scene

Honestly, I think we will start to see some really interesting things happen in the next and up and coming years

Australia produces top quality malting barley, and farmers are seriously looking at value adding.

I would not be surprised if we see small malters pop up in a few years
Al at Lobethal Bierhaus in the Adelaide Hills has started malting his own. Impressive little set up but only ever going to produce enough for his own needs.

The more interesting part was that he was assisted with expertise from Coopers and that they are going to be gearing up to do their own malting. Given they are the largest supplier of goop in the world (around 40% of their turnover) then I expect that their malts will also find their way onto the homebrew market.

Go back a couple of decades and if I recall correctly Coopers used to own or own a chunk of Adelaide Malt, it was later sold JW. Personally would be surprised if the went back to malting, but you never know. Back then AM was about the only maltster that would sell to home brewers, BB and JW wouldn't talk to anyone about much less than a B-Double and who had a silo.
Of the Australian malts I have used I would rank the Global (IMC), BB and JW in that order, with JW being a long way to the rear.
One other point that might interest some would be home maltsters, you need to let malt rest for at least two weeks after kilning. Apparently if you don't the beer tastes pretty odd.
Mark

My local Coopers rep told me that a while back.

Coopers are building there own spec malt plant, with a view to supply the craft and home brew market

Ducatiboy stu said:
My local Coopers rep told me that a while back.

Coopers are building there own spec malt plant, with a view to supply the craft and home brew market
Correct. I did a 2 hour tour of Coopers in April as part of my IBD course and heard it from the horses mouth they were going to be malting. Good news that it is intended to be made available for homebrewing.

Building a small specialty maltings makes sense, considering the quality of most of the local specialty malts (one or two exceptions) isn't a patch on the equivalent UK or European malts.
Be good to see what Coopers come up with.
Mark

I declare this thread officially derailed. B)

Edit: I mean it sounds like we are talking about good quality ingredients.

Danscraftbeer said:
Au Pale base malt Marris Otter. FG = 1.011 5.0% finish and tastes dryer. Go figure! I just realised this now.
Just learning but if you can get fresh malted grain give it a go.
There's someone in Aus making Maris Otter??

But with the local maltsters theme, I'm told there's a farmer somewhere between Muswellbrook and Tamworth malting his own barley
Still haven't been able to track him down yet, though

It makes perfect sense for Coopers to do that. They own a fairly well used forum and supply so much goop.

They would see the jump in craft brewers in this country (and the fact that apart from themselves, the crafties are the only Aussie owned breweries now) and home brewers from their forum and the transition to All Grain from goop brewers. No need to survey monkey or anything, they already have the data.

If more brewers transition to AG, then they need to capitalise on that, so that they don't lose as goop brewers cease using their products. Keeps the customer either loyal or at least locked in.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
It makes perfect sense for Coopers to do that. They own a fairly well used forum and supply so much goop.

They would see the jump in craft brewers in this country (and the fact that apart from themselves, the crafties are the only Aussie owned breweries now) and home brewers from their forum and the transition to All Grain from goop brewers. No need to survey monkey or anything, they already have the data.

If more brewers transition to AG, then they need to capitalise on that, so that they don't lose as goop brewers cease using their products. Keeps the customer either loyal or at least locked in.
I did the brewery tour in late april and they were well under way prepping the site for the maltings
Totally didn't even think to ask about malts for homebrewers :/
I'm going to bet they'll just do small amounts of spec malts at first to add to their kits

sp0rk said:
There's someone in Aus making Maris Otter??

But with the local maltsters theme, I'm told there's a farmer somewhere between Muswellbrook and Tamworth malting his own barley
Still haven't been able to track him down yet, though
Maris Otter is a barley variety, not a malt type.
I'd bet it would grow well in Tasmania.

Here's an interesting site, Sp0rk, if you poke around you'll see that candidate varieties of malting barleys get evaluated at a Pilot Brewery in Melbourne, chief brewer worked for Matilda Bay - would love to spend a week there, I wonder if they need any tasters?

No mention of growing Euro varieties however.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I really wish I could find those links.... :mellow:

I found it :super:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8PQinJOjsg&index=4&list=PL91F127D6E6A91FEE

Latest posts

Back