Where can I find rigid foam insulation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niksko

Reaction score
Hi guys

I want to build a fermentation chamber, and I need a way to insulate it. I guess using pink batts would be an option, but it seems like it would be neater and easier to use rigid foam insulation. Also, I'd be worried about bits of insulation getting into the beer.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any places that sell rigid foam insulation. Every manufacturer that I can find gives no indication of price or how I can even order their products, if indeed I can order them at all as a general consumer.

Any pointers?

For reference, http://brewbit.com/blog/55870904567/mini-fridge-fermentation-chamber-build-with uses the same sort of insulation I'm looking for.

could you use cardboard compressed together instead? it's pretty easy to get cardboard boxes for FREEEEEEEEEEE

Just a thought

How big of a chamber do you need? Would a 350L fridge or chest/upright freezer equivalent not suffice?

Can pick second hand ones up for next to (if not) nothing on gumtree..
(Two of mine were free from gumtree, one from eBay for $1, one from a member here for free, and a free tucker box from work when they upgraded)

Sekusui foam is one option.
I'm not sure if they deal with general public as we deal with them through work but if they don't, they might be able to suggest where.
Whereabouts in Melb? I might be able to help depending on where, what and how much. PM me if you like.

Look on evilbay for thin coolroom panels, you can pick them up cheap, Also the insulation wont rot out or mould up and they are already painted.

And you can glue them together with Sikaflex.

You can go real fancy and use 50x50 Aluminium angle on the edges and make it kick ass tough

Judanero said:
How big of a chamber do you need? Would a 350L fridge or chest/upright freezer equivalent not suffice?

Can pick second hand ones up for next to (if not) nothing on gumtree..
(Two of mine were free from gumtree, one from eBay for $1, one from a member here for free, and a free tucker box from work when they upgraded)
I'm sick of trying to find a large fridge. I'm looking around on Gumtree and eBay, and their either too expensive or too far away. Also, I got a free fridge from a friend. It worked at their house, though it wouldn't cool below 8C. Took it home and it trips the circuit breakers in my house.

Basically, I'm sick of messing about. I just what to buy a mini fridge and build a fermentation chamber. It'll be about $150 all up I'm hoping, it'll be as big as I like, and it will work.

Big green shed has sheets of rigid insulation near the timber. About 1m square and 40mm thick. About $20 a sheet.

earle said:
Big green shed has sheets of rigid insulation near the timber. About 1m square and 40mm thick. About $20 a sheet.
Oh really? That's convenient. I couldn't find any on their website, but I'm sure there's heaps of stuff that's not on their website. Thanks.

Have a look at the Audino controlled fermentation chamber at Makenzine.com, an amazing heating/cooling setup.

Sorry all, try Makenzine arduino cooling/heating fermentation chamber.

Latest posts

Back