When you are tired of hoppy beers what do you brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick667

Reaction score
I am just curious what others brew if and when they want something other than a beer with a high hop profile or even what people brew who are not into hop forward beers.
"What type of beer do you like", would be an easy question to ask but I like many different styles and probably many that I havent tried.
On most sites that I check for recipes the most popular recipes are radical IPA,s/APA,s like Pliney the whatever. I recently brewed an American amber and I am really happy with it and brewed another straight after a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale that was happening. I do like this beer.
I have a lot of trouble finding recipes that I feel will be balanced.
Does anybody else have this problem and does anyone have advice or ideas or websites that they can trust.

Brewing classic styles. Available from any online book shop, the only recipe book you'll need.

Altbier, stout, porter, esb, mild, belgian pale, tripel, dubbel, dark strong, wee heavy, saison and the occasional pils.

That's a teeny portion of the various things you can brew that I like to. Even on the hoppy side, you can vary it up from ipa to brown, to us stout to belgian ipa to amber.

Less often on my roster but still enjoyed are dunkel, biere de garde and doppelbock. Less favourite of mine but available to any and all to try are hefeweizen, kolsch, flanders brown/red, lambic, gose and many, many more.

The world is your oyster.

I always like to have a Kolsch or a Cream Ale ready to tap for such instances

Ordinary and best bitters. Ease up on the crystal (ie 5% light crystal or none), drop the overall IBUs to about 60% of OG and maybe up late hop additions make the late additions about 50% of the total IBUs if you want more flavour but not bitterness. Challenger works well, as do new world hops with a similar AA% like cascade. Great quaffing beers and helps reset the palette when hop fatigue sets in without being boring.

Mind you, bitters in all their guises probably account for ~50% of the beers I brew, so I might be a tad biased

I'm not a huge hoppy flavour person but I've brewed a few kolsch beers, lagers, bocks and I've just brewed Dr S Golden Ale, messed up the hopping but don't think it is supposed to be overly hoppy.

I'll do simple pales, often with the intent of showcasing yeast character. Stouts. Stouts. And stouts, too. Getting into keeping malty lagers on hand.

most of my beers are hop driven so to change it up a bit I make the following:

wheat beers
porters
Munich helles
saison

its good to have these on tap when you want to taste malt driven or yeast driven styles.

Plenty of ideas here.
Look to the English and German traditions.
Who amongst us can create the perfect English Bitter, Scottish Ale, Belgian, or German Lagers?
All classic, unbelivably drinkable, beer styles.

Also worth mentioning Bronzed Brews. Traditional Australian Pale Ale. Or just your normal beers, Ales, Lagers without making them over hoppy.

I always try to have a pilsner and ESB or some version of a bitter to hand. Also in the colder months stouts and porters or brown ales go over better than hoppy beers for me

I’ve got 2 lagers (“Reality Czech” lager, “Cuzbro” lager :D) and a kölsch on tap at the moment. Great alternatives to a hoppy ipa. I’ve also got a nice balanced pale ale. This is my favourite at the moment. So not entirely a departure from hoppy ipas but a great mellow alternative at 5.5% and 39 IBUs.

Hefeweizen and anything Belgian are my go-to when not brewing with half a fermenter of hops.

Planning to hit up some kind of kettle sour next, was going to do it yesterday but turns out my local chemist doesn't stock the inner health beer pills. [emoji107]

Hefeweizen and anything Belgian are my go-to when not brewing with half a fermenter of hops.

Planning to hit up some kind of kettle sour next, was going to do it yesterday but turns out my local chemist doesn't stock the inner health beer pills. [emoji107]
You could also use some pilsner grain ElderTaco. Just maybe use in a hop sock or similar, facepalm from experience.

Back