When To Sample

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sathid

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Bottled my pale ale on monday. Been sitting there, staring at me for the whole 2 days since then. I do intend on letting them condition in the bottle for at least 3 weeks (coincides nicely with the end of exams) but would like to sample one to see what it is like when cold and carbonated (all other tastings have been basically flat - out of the fermenter). It was in the fermenter for almost 2 weeks, and racked into secondary for another week. Primary fermentation seemed to be over in about 2 days.

Just wondering when it might be carbonated enough to stick one in the fridge and try it.

In case it makes any difference, I bulk primed with 110g of dextrose for ~15L.

And this is why I have some PET bottles. One/two per batch and you can tell just by squeezing them if it's carbonated.

Now I'm done feeling superior :rolleyes: it really depends on the temperature the bottles are at. If it's in the mid-20s, they'll be ready. What's the weather like where you are?

Hi everyone,

Bottled my pale ale on monday. Been sitting there, staring at me for the whole 2 days since then. I do intend on letting them condition in the bottle for at least 3 weeks (coincides nicely with the end of exams) but would like to sample one to see what it is like when cold and carbonated (all other tastings have been basically flat - out of the fermenter). It was in the fermenter for almost 2 weeks, and racked into secondary for another week. Primary fermentation seemed to be over in about 2 days.

Just wondering when it might be carbonated enough to stick one in the fridge and try it.

In case it makes any difference, I bulk primed with 110g of dextrose for ~15L.
How warm is it where it is conditioning? I am an impatient so and so when it comes to the first taste so I have tasted at 3 days before and it was carbing up just enough, but it was fairly warm weather at the time.
In colder times I leave it for a week and a half...
I'd go another day or two then go for it...
You may have already done this, and you may use smaller bottles already, but I keep a supply of smaller bottles for each batch for this very reason :)

they are 330mL bottles. Only got 42 out of an originally 18.5L batch. Plus one 1L stein worth straight from the fermenter (not enough pressure from the beer to fill any more bottles with my bottle filler.)

The weather is 25 degrees or so inside my house.

Thanks for the advice.

Back