When To Pitch Another Yeast.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunc

Reaction score
Have recently [Wednesday afternoon] put down a Grumpy's Boston Cream with Wyeast 1272 which began fermenting after about a day. But my Longreach Draught with Californian Lager 2112 Wyeast which I put down on the same day has not commenced fermentation- as judged by the same hydro reading since I put it down, no condensation, and no krausen.

Basically my starters {about 1.25 litres each} had been made on Monday afternoon. I did not feed the yeast anymore on Tuesday, which I think may have cause the slow start, but I though they would eventually ferment.

I pitched the yeast at wort temp around 28 degrees, and brought both the Ale and Draught down to 15 degrees over about 14 hours [overnight]. Tuesday afternoon the Boston Ale fermentation had begun, and gravity is now at 1.030, sitting about 16 degrees.

But it seems that my Draught has not begun, thought there is about 0.5-1cm of sediment on the bottom- thought it seems no fermentation has begun and I took 2 samples to make sure. Both fermenters are sitting right next to each other so they are at the same temperature. I have shaken and swirled the Draught fermenter this afternoon to try and rouse some activity, but I am not sure if it has worker.

So I am basically asking should I re-hydrate some of the yeast that came with the Grumpy's tins, and pitch soon, or wait and see?

Dunc.

With such big temp drop like that (13 degrees) you may have shocked your yeast. Also pitching at 28 degrees could be deemed quite high. I would have cooled it down to around 22 at the highest. Talk about running them through the gamut. :blink:

Bit of patience. It should fire. :unsure:

Warren -

Dunc, I think Warren is spot on there, that is a large temp drop in a short time. You're second statement is correct, but the best time to pitch a starter into the main ferment is just after high krausen. That is when the beasties numbers will be at optimum. :D

Latest posts

Back