When to leave a beer alone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bridges

Reaction score
I've got an IPA just finishing in the fermenter, probably crash chill tomorrow, it isn't a recipe I've made before but at 18 degrees straight from the fermenter it is just freaking amazing. I was planning to chill it and give it some dry hopping for 3 days but I'm not sure whether to leave it and bottle as is or go all out and hop the bejesus out of it.
I know there are options there splitting it and so forth but I'm not sure I can be arsed. Issue is I'm scared of screwing it up.
Should I leave it or go as planned?...

The recipe has got you this far... I'd stick with the recipe for the first go, then vary on repeat.

Yep, more hops wont necesearelallery make it better..

Leave it for a month or 2 then get into it

Personally I like my IPAs dry hopped, it gives it some hop zing. Often an IPA will taste lovely straight out of the fermenter, only to fade before you have time to drink it, especially in the bottle. So I would dry hop, but may be not the bejesus.

Chill it and then taste it, as the hops may be more prevalent when warm.

If it's still amazeballs, then leave it. If you think it's lost it's mojo, give it some green magic.

(Reading the topic title, I was thinking, "well, at about 11pm when I'm on my way to bed, but decide to open that RIS longneck anyway")

mofox1 said:
(Reading the topic title, I was thinking, "well, at about 11pm when I'm on my way to bed, but decide to open that RIS longneck anyway")
I'm also awful at that decision and will always have one or two more than I need!

Well I'm drinking this now. I dry hopped it in the end some cascade, citra and northern brewer as per the recipe, don't really know if it made it better or worse but I'm still really happy with the outcome. Must get around to setting up a keg system though as I reckon it's lost a bit of it's zing or something even from when I bottled, which was only three weeks ago.

Back