When & How to start a Wyeast Smack Pack

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzer

Reaction score
Hey, so I'm going to throw down a Dr Smurto Landlord this weekend. I have hopefully a very newbie question, it is my first time using liquid yeast.

How long before my brew do I smack the wyeast smack pack? Also at what temperature do I keep it at during that time between smacking and pitching?

I read the back of the pack mentions 21-24c though I have also read smacking 24+ hours in advance, would it be fine to leave it at those temps for that long?

Thanks Ya'll!

Smack it and leave it at room temperature. It will be fine like that until you do your brew, for at least a week. No need to fret over it.

I smack mine up to a week before a brew, but I also build it up into a starter to increase the volume of my yeast.

mm yeah no equipment for a starter. I'll smack it at least tomorrow night and leave it at room temp then, brewing on Sunday.

I brewed a Dr Smurto's landlord recently and it is a great brew.

I did a 14L batch and pitched the smack pack that I smacked that morning. So about 10 hours smacking to pitching. The smack pack was only 2 weeks old.

I saved some of the slurry in some 300mL water bottles and used these in subsequent brews. The bigger beers with starters. I just make my starters in an old 2L port bottle. Ghetto Erlenmeyer flask.

If you already have the yeast I would smack it now.

You only need a 3ltr juice bottle, one small funnel, some gladwrap a rubber band and sanitiser. So easy...

Smack it tonight you think? I can do that.

Mclovin: So you just make some wort sterilise the bottle (plastic?) add the yeast and leave it at room temp? Do you stir it at all? I always hear people requiring stir plates etc..

If I just put the starter into a sterilized PET bottle , soft drink bottle, I put. the lid on the bottle and shake it whenever I walk past the bottle.

Mclovin said:
You only need a 3ltr juice bottle, one small funnel, some gladwrap a rubber band and sanitiser. So easy...
Thats all I have ever used for starters.

Blitzer,

If the manufacture date is within the last 2 months, smack the pack on Saturday morning for pitching Sunday. No need to stress with making starters.
Just leave at room temp & give it a good shake before opening & pitching.

Cheers Ross

Blitzer said:
Do you stir it at all? I always hear people requiring stir plates etc..
You don't need a stirplate to make a starter, but you get much better results if you do have one. If you don't have a stir plate, give your starter a good shake/swirl every time you walk past it. It won't be as effective as a stirplate but it will be much more effective than just adding the yeast pack directly.

gap said:
If I just put the starter into a sterilized PET bottle , soft drink bottle, I put. the lid on the bottle and shake it whenever I walk past the bottle.
Yep. Make shure you loosen the cap to allow the CO2 to escape or you will end up with a fire extinguisher.

Make your starter wort about SG 1020

Ducatiboy stu said:
Make your starter wort about SG 1020
?

Everything I have ever read says to make your starters 1040

Parks said:
?

Everything I have ever read says to make your starters 1040
for a normal gravity beer that is correct, 1.040 starter

for a 1.100 beer use a 1.060 starter

donburke said:
I thought that starters were recommended to be ~1.040 OG to avoid stressing the yeast? Correct me if I'm wrong.

You want 1020. This gives a low alc% which stresses the yeast less especially in storage.

Think of it this way. You get a better starter from Coopers Mild than Coopers Sparkling.

slash22000 said:
I thought that starters were recommended to be ~1.040 OG to avoid stressing the yeast? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Dont forget you are pitching into wort that has O% alc

donburke said:
for a normal gravity beer that is correct, 1.040 starter

It is the amount of yeast you need for big beers, not the alc strength of the starter

Blitzer said:
Smack it tonight you think? I can do that.

Mclovin: So you just make some wort sterilise the bottle (plastic?) add the yeast and leave it at room temp? Do you stir it at all? I always hear people requiring stir plates et
For dried yeast I always make a starter, I use LDME and water boiled in a sauspan and chilled in the sink to 21C, then pour it into the bottle with the yeast and stir every so often.

My latest starter bottle is a 3 ltr OJ bottle i have a hole in the screw cap with a grommet and air lock fitted. When not in use I fill the bottle with starsan and store.

The smack packs are more designed to give a professional brewery pitching rate with 19 ltrs of standard ale wort, so batch size is an important factor. No real need to make a starter if you are brewing 19 ltrs.

Latest posts

Back