When Do You Steep Specialty Grains?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegade

Awaiting Exile
Reaction score
I notice that the dead-simple instructions given by many HBS for using specialty grain is 'steep for 20-30 minutes in hot water'. These are often variations 'steep in boiled water', which to me appears to be some bad misinformation. Generally speaking, when I started using some crystal I would aim for around 65-70c water temps (ie roughly the same as mashing, but for 1/2 the time)

Now that I am regularly mini-mashing a bit of base malt with brews, I ask myself the question of where crystal etc is intruduced. So far I have been adding it at the 30 minute mark (of a 60 minute base malt mash).

It just dawned on me that I haven't actually read any posts about AG brewers introducing specialty malts @ 30, so does this mean that 100% of the grain bill is added at the start, and treated the same as base malts throughout the process ?

With all grain brewing, all the grains go in together.
One load.
The 60 minutes is needed for conversion of enzymes of the base malts, which is not necessary for the extract + grains brewer.
:)
I used to wonder exactly the same question.

just chuck it in with the base malt, at the start.

Swingingbeef, i'm still using a bit of base malts as well, so I'm still following the same principles as a full mash. No harm in getting the process down on a micro level.

Anyway, question answered. Cheers, lads. :icon_cheers:

Put all the grains in together for the whole mash time. Some spec malts benefit from base malts to help with the conversion.

As above. All in one. I think specialty malts will actually affect the mash pH and help with conversion/efficiency. Can someone with more experience confirm?

^^ Generally the darker the malt, the greater impact it has on mash pH. Increasing acidity of the mash if i remember correctly.

As it's friday afternoon, my brain is not able to go deeper or explain further the hows and why's!!

Cheers SJ

Yeah, darker malts are acidic. Something to do with the roasting process. Actually, just found a quote "this is due to acidic compounds, including melanoidins, formed at their higher hilning temperatures".

Not sure how much of a worry it is for partials to get ph spot on, but if the PH is too high, then the tannins can come out of the grain.

I add mine with the base malt

Good to hear this info today. I'm doing a brew with some spec grain this weekend and I usually steep my specs on the stove for 30mins @ 68 C and add to the kettle at 60mins. This time I'll be trying the all-in-one approach. Less messing around and less cleaning afterwards.

Back