Wheelie Bin Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, i still have 2 of them that were bought brand new to ferment wine in a few vintages ago now. Been sitting in a corner of the shed ever since.

Was hours of entertainment bucketing out the must into the press until it was light enough for 2 of us to pick it up and pour.

Never thought of reusing them for brewing. :icon_cheers:

Chuck a few elements in there and you have a wheelie-bin of death.

Off Topic Question: QldKev How do you bring your strike water up to temp quickly with a wheelie-bin-worthy batch ? I'm in the market for a burner that will bring about 160L of water to 70 degrees in a 44gallon drum (for a non beer related hobby) in a short space of time.

If you want a burner for pure grunt, I think you can't beat the NASA. There are 100,000btu and 150,000btu models out there. Get your hands on a couple of the 150,000btu versions and I think you will be happy. I can't remember the exact time, but in my 140L pot I was getting 90L up to 69c in about 15mins, without running them flatout (they got too loud for where I was brewing flatout).

QldKev

I was only kidding about the wheelie bin for fermenting in. sm_poke.gif

But there are a couple of good ideas here. I like the idea of looking at the blue olive drums for a large fermentor, or even a HLT.

Seem to remember a NSW case swap at Barls place when a batch of braggot was mashed in one of those large blue barrels. It worked quite well.

My wheelie bin's a fermeter. Of lacto and aceto sour mashout sour vinegar ale.

Man, it makes me feel like puking sometimes, but the maggots seem to love it.

Had a couple of bags of spent grain get ripped trying to stuff garden waste in there and since it's just a soup at the bottom. Maggots will have it gone and then leave with their wings - so all good.

I was only kidding about the wheelie bin for fermenting in. View attachment 56188

But there are a couple of good ideas here. I like the idea of looking at the blue olive drums for a large fermentor, or even a HLT.
I store my grain in blue olive drums, even after cleaning them as best I can, and storing grain inside them for years (inside plastic bags) they still stink - clean/new/food grade wheelie bins would be a much better fermentor IMHO. ;)

Latest posts

Back