Wheat recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asha05

Reaction score
Put this together with the help of Ian's spreadsheet.
Is there anything i should add/remove?

20ltr

1.5kg liquid wheat malt
1kg dry wheat malt
0.5kg dex

5 ltr boil

25g saaz @ 45 mins
25g saaz @ 20 mins
10g saaz dry hopped

WB06 yeast

EST OG 1.047
IBU 16.3

Cheers in advance...

I don't think its worthwhile dry hopping that mate, it's not something very common for wheat beers as far as i know. In this case you wanna let the WB06 do its thing and give the beer its flavour, not the hops.

Oh and stand back, that yeast goes bonkers.

Cut the dry hops first time you brew this. Add it to a later batch if you feel experimental.
I feel that an all dry malt recipe is better, for future reference.
Go with what you have this time, and make changes later.
Liquid yeasts are also superb.

Enjoy the wheat.
Prost!

if you use an airlock, consider making yourself a blow off tube. have a search on how different people construct these. I once made one by cutting the top 'bubble' off my airlock, then slipping some nylon tubing over the end. It fit snugly enough, so i just used electrical tape to fully seal the join. Then plug in your airlock to your lid, then drop the other end of your nylon tubing (~0.5m long or so) into the cleaned out extract tin that has heen half filled with sanitiser. this complese the air lock, so you dont need any liquid in the u bend .
Sometimes (I haven't experienced it yet and onto my third wheat beer) you get stacks of foam and this can bubble out through your airlock and make a huge mess.

Like the others said, drop the saaz dry hop. wheat beers aren't traditionally a big hop beer. The yeast is the major flavour contributor here. Because of this, temp control can play a large factor in what flavours you get in your beer. Clove and banana can be found at either end of the temperature spectrum. Bubblegum flavours can also be attained, but why you would want that, I have no idea.

I would aim for 18 degrees if you can. 20 will do, but dont go higher than that if you can avoid it.

But remember this is all just advice. its your brew so you can do whatever the hell you want with it. if you wanna dry hop it, go ahead. It will probably still taste great. The advice the other responders and I have given is true to the german wheat style. You dont have to make one true to that style if you dont want to. Your call, and have fun!

Alex.Tas said:
if you use an airlock, consider making yourself a blow off tube. have a search on how different people construct these. I once made one by cutting the top 'bubble' off my airlock, then slipping some nylon tubing over the end. It fit snugly enough, so i just used electrical tape to fully seal the join. Then plug in your airlock to your lid, then drop the other end of your nylon tubing (~0.5m long or so) into the cleaned out extract tin that has heen half filled with sanitiser. this complese the air lock, so you dont need any liquid in the u bend .
Sometimes (I haven't experienced it yet and onto my third wheat beer) you get stacks of foam and this can bubble out through your airlock and make a huge mess.

Like the others said, drop the saaz dry hop. wheat beers aren't traditionally a big hop beer. The yeast is the major flavour contributor here. Because of this, temp control can play a large factor in what flavours you get in your beer. Clove and banana can be found at either end of the temperature spectrum. Bubblegum flavours can also be attained, but why you would want that, I have no idea.

I would aim for 18 degrees if you can. 20 will do, but dont go higher than that if you can avoid it.

But remember this is all just advice. its your brew so you can do whatever the hell you want with it. if you wanna dry hop it, go ahead. It will probably still taste great. The advice the other responders and I have given is true to the german wheat style. You dont have to make one true to that style if you dont want to. Your call, and have fun!
Cheers for the advice. I will drop the dry hop and stick to the style for the 1st edition, then can tweak it to my liking.

Latest posts

Back