Wheat Malt For Lagers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a 100% wheat ale back in the early days of AG brewing. Records say 5kg JW wheat malt, 65 degrees, 90 minutes. It was cloudy but it went down pretty nicely IIRC. The efficiency probably was fairly lousy but what the hell.

Hey Folks - I've got a lot of wheat malt and s23 lager yeast and was thinking about making a 100% wheat lager. Is this doable?

:icon_cheers:

I know a few that don't like it but I don't mind a pint or two of Matt Donelans (sp?) St. Peters Blonde when I'm in an Inner West Sydney pub thats got it which is a good 50% (or more) wheat and he uses either 23 or 34/70, can't remember which one. I've done something similar myself in the past.

I'm sure yours'll be a very drinkable beer.

Ticking away nicely.

IMG_1044.jpg

Set to the temperature of "lager" on the windy temperature thing. 13C.

IMG_1046.jpg

Not very old, and with a bit of protein haze (another bottle that's "hot conditioning" for comparison is super clear) - but quite nice. Too fruity though for a lager. I think the initial few hours of fermentation were a little too warm. Maybe a wheat steam beer?!

IMG_1056.jpg

Another week of cold conditioning will help, but the fruitiness is probably here to stay - not that I really mind it.

It's very, very pale though. Makes those American beers look dark. The flash has made it look darker - we're talking 100% wheat 2 EBC or less.

I will brew this again - next time at 10C the entire time making sure I chill to 10C before pitching.

At the moment I have exactly the same recipe 'cept with 100% barley instead of wheat bubbling away. Will be nice to drink the two back to back.

:icon_cheers:

Back